E brake cable

pflaming

My e brake cable works easily and smoothly but. . . When new the was coated with some product that has dried out, broken, and crumbled off. I would like to recover it. What, if any, means are recommended? TKS 

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

Tim, yes on the inside cable, what on the outside coil. It had a coating when new. 

Was it zinc?

Paint it zinc color Paul ?

• Like 1

there is also a shrink type tape that one can wrap the outer housing...….I used to use this stuff for military applications...this seems to be similar in all respect......

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=shrinkable+insulating+tape&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=shrink+tape

4 hours ago, casper50 said:

any shrink tube that will shrink enough to fit tight on the cable would not be able to go over the clevis on the ends I wouldn't think.

I am not 100 percent on what you have for a e-brake cable but on my car the end that attaches to the handle inside the car IS NOT a clevis but a slug that inserts into the clevis with the end being the area designated for clamping in place.....and if that is not doable for you the distant end that is attached to the transmission mounted e-brake is also a removable clevis as this is the very means one has to adjust the cable, simply remove the nuts and slide the shrink in place...but this does require you to put a bit of effort above just slide on the shrink and heat...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

IF worse comes to worse and you still having difficulties.....you can always use a product that is known as spiral wrap.  This item will allow you to place a decorative/protective coating but it will not be water proof...if in using this short cut method I would suggest a very good clean up of the outer cable jacket, a nice application of a grease as a barrier, apply the wrap, wipe off any excess.  

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311.R3.TR9.TRC1.A0.H0.Xspiral+wrap.TRS0&_nkw=spiral+wrap+tubing&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=shrinkable+insulating+tape&LH_TitleDesc=0

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I don't know how it would hold up in that environment over the long haul, but there is a rubber product that comes on a roll, like tape, but it can be stretched tight as you put it on, and seems to bond together after application. (I think this is what I have: Intertape Polymer Group 5517 Contractor Grade Rubber Tape.)  When I have needed to remove it, I had to cut it with a razor knife - it was pretty difficult to just peel it back off.  If I can't find a good way to protect the head light wire harnesses, this is what I will probably end up using there as well, but I've been looking for a thin wall rubber hose the right diameter to do the bulk of the length.

• 2 weeks later...