Fluid Drive Question

Navy Chief

I have an opportunity to buy a fluid drive system with a 3 speed transmission but have a few questions before I commit to converting.

- Was this an option that was originally available on 1 ton trucks? I want to stay as close to originally available as possible, but am intrigued with the fluid drive option.

- How well does the system work for engine braking or downshifting? Does the fluid drive prevent engine braking, or is it more like shifting to a lower gear on an automatic trans going downhill? There are some pretty good hills around here and I don't want the lose the ability to engine brake going down them.

Thanks!

Navy Chief, I have a 51 1 ton with fluid drive. It has the chrome Fluid Drive letters on both sides of the hood. Don’t have it running yet, so can’t answer your drivability questions. The old Kansas farmer I bought the truck from said he loved the Fluid Drive. Hope that helps.

the parts book would tell you which models it was stock option on, have you checked thru that?  We have a pdf version in the Pilot's Knowledge section under Resources/DPETCA

1/2 - 1 ton trucks were available with FD starting with the B2 series. As for engine braking, it all depends on RPM. At higher RPM there is less slippage through the FD so it acts much like a regular setup. But at low RPM you will experience some extra ‘slippage’. I’ve never had to worry about it getting away from me on a hill due to lack of engine braking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1