ignition points: recommend a manufacturer

48 New Yorker

Hi All:

I've read several posts about poor quality replacement ignition points and condensers.  Seems like a lot of them are made in China and fail quickly.  Can anyone recommend a quality brand that they have had experience with?

Conversely, can you also let me know which brands are junk

I'm running an Autolite distributor model 1GT-4201-1 in a Chrysler New Yorker flatty 8.....don't need the part number (although if you've got one-- great), just want a brand/source for a quality set of points and condenser.

Thanks,

David in Santa Cruz. 

Agree finding  points with the phenolic rubbing block... I also use a small dab of Dow Corning 4 behind the block.

4 hours ago, 48 New Yorker said:

Hi All:

I've read several posts about poor quality replacement ignition points and condensers.  Seems like a lot of them are made in China and fail quickly.  Can anyone recommend a quality brand that they have had experience with?

Conversely, can you also let me know which brands are junk

I'm running an Autolite distributor model 1GT-4201-1 in a Chrysler New Yorker flatty 8.....don't need the part number (although if you've got one-- great), just want a brand/source for a quality set of points and condenser.

Thanks,

David in Santa Cruz. 

David, This is Rich Hartung I sent you a Private message be on the look out for the PM.

Thanks to all who responded about the points and condenser question.  Since no current manufacturers are mentioned, I guess I can conclude there's no one who produce quality stuff.  Fortunately, as suggested,  there's ebay for NOS Autolite parts -- which I'm going to try. 

Re: T120's suggestion.....good idea, I've also considered using 3M Silicone Paste....anyone tried it?

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Silicone-Paste/?N=5002385+3293194053&rt=rud

Now.....the rest of the story.....I had a Pertronix set up, (including Flamethrower coil) which I installed about 10 or so years ago. At that time, after consulting with a Pertronix engineer,  I wired it according his plans with the resistor for the  M6 Fluid Drive tranny.  Didn't have any problems.....but it never seemed to "out perform" a good set of points, (other than not having to replace them due to normal wear, but I really don't mind that.....retired with time/interest for maintenance and wrenching). 

Once running it performed well enough, but it remained hard starting, requiring a lot of cranking (even with a fully charged battery)....just felt I wasn't getting a strong spark... Read elsewhere, that Pertronix liked a full 6 volts plus at the coil to run best...checked and was only getting about 3.6v at the coilI,  so I ran a wire from the neg side (hot) of the coil to the 2nd lug on the starter (the lug that is only hot during cranking; it's connected to the sisson choke). 

Pfffffffft.....after the putrid smoke cleared, I made the decision to return to points.....don't try this at home folks.

Edited by 48 New Yorker
spelling

I'd want a high temp sticky good distributor cam lube grease made just for the point style ignition.......https://www.amazon.com/Mallory-26015-Distributor-Grease/product-reviews/B000FVXO1G

or.....the good old common cam lube...SUPER LUBE 2 DISTRIBUTOR CAM GREASE - 7/8 OUNCE TUBE LUBRICAM

• Like 1