Generator

Doug&Deb

Finally got the Coronet back after the engine rebuild and it seems to be running on the battery only. Amp gauge shows discharge when loaded but not showing charge when I up the rpms. Could the gen need re-polarized? The car has been down since mid August. Charged the battery last night and I’m going to load test it today. Not sure what else to look for.

The quick and easy test for cars with generators is to remove a battery cable while it's running. If the engine stops,the generator is not charging. If it keeps running,the generator is charging.

Usually the engine speed will have to be above idle to do the generator charging test.

The generator will not charge at a low idle causing the engine to die when pulling the cable.

9 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Usually the engine speed will have to be above idle to do the generator charging test.

The generator will not charge at a low idle causing the engine to die when pulling the cable.

No big deal. Just pull out the choke a little if that is the case.

If that IS the case,I would recommend adjusting the points in the voltage regulator to charge at idle. That way you aren't losing battery charges while sitting at stop lights,etc,etc,etc. This is especially true at night. The telltale is if your headlights dim at idle.

Put an alternator in to get a charge at idle if  someone is worried about no idle charge. Really not a problem.

4 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Put an alternator in to get a charge at idle if  someone is worried about no idle charge. Really not a problem.

Not for me. I hate the ugly bastids and see no need for them in a old car that is original.

• Like 1

^^^^ I have never seen that guy.

Very cool until .....most under a $1000.00:eek:

Gotta pay to play!

24 minutes ago, thisoldtruck said:

Then there is this guy:

https://www.gener-nator.com/

Andy

Wow! All that,and for only $1,000!

11 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Wow! All that,and for only $1,000!

Well they do have to pay for Jay's input.

7 minutes ago, maok said:

Well they do have to pay for Jay's input.

Probably,but it won't affect me. I will keep adjusting regulators until my lights stay bright without flickering at idle,and just keep on keeping on.