changing pinion seal P15

jgreg53

So I managed to get the old seal out pretty easy.  I used a steering wheel puller that came with to rods with hooks on the end that I could put inside the seal to grab the inside. When trying to get  the new seal in I discovered it is .040 bigger on the OD than the old one.  Is this normal?  when talking about a press fit .040 is huge.  I ordered the seal from AB.  Needless to say I jacked that one up trying to get it in.  Ordered another one from ebay.  Haven't tried it as of this posting.  Any pointers?

Edited by jgreg53

Hi I also had problems with my pinion seal leaking . I should point out that my car is a Canadian 1948 dodge  which is basically a P15 with dodge badging.

I also ordered a replacement seal from AB . it leaked from day one .I got a tip from Desoto 1939  to try a NationalOil seal for a 1946-1948 D0dge #5851 which crosses over to the Victor Seal 49230 . I tried it and it hasn't leaked since .

Good luck