Greetings from KY

JEGibbs

Hello all. Doing some research on the car I just bought showed me one thing repeatedly. Join the p15-d24 forum. 

I just purchaced this 1947 Plymouth super deluxe with a title. I have a ton of ideas for it but I’m no expert. So I will be burning up the search function here. 

8EF3E0CC-531C-46E0-AC3C-DCAB31D398FF.jpeg

F326ECF7-8AEF-4420-94E7-58F009C034D5.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool project!

Suggestion: Start a new thread and name it "47 Plymouth Project" and begin with your questions there.  Abandon this thread.  

Good luck and keep us updated.?

• Like 2

Hi    Welcome.  Just a detail of old Plymouth ownership.....if you look carefully at that small chrome lettering on the top edge of the front fender just before the cowl....

I bet it will say Special Deluxe.  super Deluxe as I recall is a Ford model name.    The 1946-47-48 and first 3 months of 1949 cars that look like yours, are Special Deluxe for the

nicer model and simply Deluxe for the slightly cheaper car.....all are Model P15.   A repair manual and parts manual are the first two things you should buy.....they can usually

be found in both originals and reprints on eBay.  The grille and side trim are stainless.....other items regular chrome.  Your triangular stop light in center of the trunk lid will have raised lettering on the back side saying "coupe"......which indicates the correct curvature for your body style.   If you wish to use original small hubcaps .......Spec Dlx are 10 inch diameter.......deluxe are only 9 inch.  A 1947 model can have either 16" or 15" rims depending on date of manufacture.  All glass except rear window is flat....so if your rear window is good, take good care of it.  New rubber gasket can be purchased.  

Lots of knowledge on this forum.  Bob                         How about a pic of the dash and of the interior? 

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BobT-47P15 said:

Hi    Welcome.  Just a detail of old Plymouth ownership.....if you look carefully at that small chrome lettering on the top edge of the front fender just before the cowl....

I bet it will say Special Deluxe.  super Deluxe as I recall is a Ford model name.    The 1946-47-48 and first 3 months of 1949 cars that look like yours, are Special Deluxe for the

nicer model and simply Deluxe for the slightly cheaper car.....all are Model P15.   A repair manual and parts manual are the first two things you should buy.....they can usually

be found in both originals and reprints on eBay.  The grille and side trim are stainless.....other items regular chrome.  Your triangular stop light in center of the trunk lid will have raised lettering on the back side saying "coupe"......which indicates the correct curvature for your body style.   If you wish to use original small hubcaps .......Spec Dlx are 10 inch diameter.......deluxe are only 9 inch.  A 1947 model can have either 16" or 15" rims depending on date of manufacture.  All glass except rear window is flat....so if your rear window is good, take good care of it.  New rubber gasket can be purchased.  

Lots of knowledge on this forum.  Bob                         How about a pic of the dash and of the interior? 

The super vs special was my fault there. I knew that and still typed super haha. All the stainless is in the car thankfully. I don’t have any interior pics but I do have under carriage pics. Currently the car is in storage at a friends farm. Hoping to put it in my garage this spring. 

JE, until I joined this forum I was not excited about the P series cars, I now am a convert. They are special and especially the coupes. 

P.S.  Great patina, that will clean up very nicely! 

34 minutes ago, pflaming said:

JE, until I joined this forum I was not excited about the P series cars, I now am a convert. They are special and especially the coupes. 

P.S.  Great patina, that will clean up very nicely! 

I have to be honest. I actually spent a year looking for this exact car. There’s a car up in the north east somewhere that I saw one time and instantly I had to have one. I can’t remember the guys name who built it. I just know it’s black with green headlights and has esc garage on the tires.  Lol it’s my phone background. 

FF52EDD1-042C-4ED4-90C2-B5B209CEA262.png

3 hours ago, rhelm1953 said:

Am I to assume we are not talking a stock restoration here?  :rolleyes:

No worries, just keep it all mopar and you will escape our wrath... ;)

There is zero chance of me dropping a ls or sbc in this thing hahaha. I’m just trying to decide whether to strip down my donor truck with a 360 magnum or find an older LA and go from there. 

I was kind of hoping you were going to go all the way and drop in an RB.  :D

I do love the sound of a big block mopar. I still miss the sound of my 70 Charger with a 440, and that was 40 years ago.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, JEGibbs said:

There is zero chance of me dropping a ls or sbc in this thing hahaha. I’m just trying to decide whether to strip down my donor truck with a 360 magnum or find an older LA and go from there. 

You cant beat the cost of the SBC...LOL

Welcome to the Site!!!

I am in the  process of "Ruining" a '48 just like yours

IMG_0302.JPG

On 1/17/2019 at 3:46 PM, rhelm1953 said:

I was kind of hoping you were going to go all the way and drop in an RB.  :D

I do love the sound of a big block mopar. I still miss the sound of my 70 Charger with a 440, and that was 40 years ago.

If finances allow I would be more than excited to put a big mopar in. Finding one may be trouble around here though. Is there an overdrive trans that will bolt up to a rb? 

On 1/17/2019 at 8:09 PM, Bobby said:

You cant beat the cost of the SBC...LOL

Welcome to the Site!!!

I am in the  process of "Ruining" a '48 just like yours

IMG_0302.JPG

Yours looks a fair bit cleaner than mine haha. Ruin away man. That’s the beauty of hot rodding. There’s no wrong way. 

I am just a bit further along. Disc on the front and most mechanical running gear done. I was stuck with a hatchet job on a Stroker SBC Crate Motor when I got it so I am going with it for now to keep cost down. I  will be following your progress so feel free to PM when you encounter the same headaches I have endured...

Best of luck with the build

Welcome JE

I’m over in Winchester KY

got a few old Plymouth’s and Dodge. Lots of great friendly advice and opinions here. I never stop learning things. 

Brian

• Like 1