Chrysler industrial engines

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody here knew what the difference was between the IND251 vs the IND251F industrial engines?  It seems the IND versions were the Canadian block industrial engines whereas the 8 and 8A were the U.S. block versions.  But that's all I know.

Andy

So NiftyFifty, did you have to stick with original pistons with that engine then or were you able to upgrade to a style like the truck engines or car engines?

I have an IND251 in my Power Wagon now, and it needs to be rebuilt.  So I'm looking at parts.  So far the part numbers jive to be the same as the original truck motor, but the exhaust valves and seats list a completely different part number then the normal hardened valves and seats.  The Canadian manual doesn't list the Sodium valves in the parts list section, but they list the different engine blocks with either full flow lubrication w/or with out sodium valves.  The truck manual shows the sodium valves as the "premium" valves and they list the "premium" valve guides to go with those valves.  I hope there isn't a change in block just to accommodate the valves in these engines?    Don't know what pistons are installed yet though.  Looks like some were aluminum and others cast iron.  

I guess I'll have to wait till spring when I pull the engine and actually see whats in there.

Andy

I just got 6 new pistons from Northern Auto Parts, they fit the rods and no other issues.  I did all my valves/seats, but I guess I never paid attention to the w/wo, I just got all new parts and dropped the block off for machining and the new cam bearings, and they never said any issues.

My block came from a Massey Harris combine.

Heavy duty service sodium exhaust valve engines use .437" bronze valve guides.

This compared to std. duty engines using .3438" diameter cast iron guides and Std solid stem exhaust valves.

Both engines use the same hardened stellite exhaust valve seats in the block.

So were the engine blocks different with sodium valves or regular hardened valves in engines?  I have both types of valves here, sodium and regular solid stem hardened. I did notice that the guides are larger in diameter, as the valve stems are larger in diameter too on the sodium valves.

I now know for sure there is a difference in blocks between full flow oiling vs by-pass oiling.  Just not sure about valve differences though. 

Edited by thisoldtruck

The sodium guides fit any block. Seats are the same either way.

I've got a 230 Chrysler Industrial in a Worthington Golf Chief tractor.   I needed an exhaust manifold years ago for my 1 ton, so I "borrowed" the one off the industiral.  The intake has a built in plenum under the carb.  Not sure what the purpose is.

Just now, MBFowler said:

I've got a 230 Chrysler Industrial in a Worthington Golf Chief tractor.   I needed an exhaust manifold years ago for my 1 ton, so I "borrowed" the one off the industiral.  The intake has a built in plenum under the carb.  Not sure what the purpose is.

got a pic of that tractor? Dad is slowly restoring his

I can get one tomorrow.   I've got enough parts to restore it.  It did run, but had low oil pressure.  I've got another good flatty and a trans to put in it.   Just haven't gotten around to it yet.