I need some advice connecting the vacuum line from the carburetor to the vacuum advance. The carburetor vacuum fitting is 3/16 double flare. I'm thinking of using 3/16 CuNi brake line from the carburetor over the top of the head and connecting the other end to a hose going to the vacuum advance so the distributor can move freely.  How Dodge set it up at the factory is an open question.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
brevity

On my 1939 Desoto the entire line is a metal line from the Vacuum Advance over to the carb.  They did put several  loops in the line when coming out of the dizzy to help with the advance and retarding of the dizzy to prevent the breaking of the line.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with desoto1939 as to the stock type.

I did mine that way But it is hard to adjust timing with the normal steel line , I used even with a good sized loop.

My thought if I needed to do it again would be to use the newer Ni-cop style of line which bends or add a section of vacuum hose with about 6-10 inches of rubber hose from the steel/Ni-cop line to the distributor.

Your choice as to ease of service or stock type.

DJ

• Thanks 1

I stillhave the original steel line running from the VA to the carb and I do not have any issues with adjusting the timing when rotating the dizzy.  If replacing the line as suggested I would go with the Ni-cop line because it is easier to bend and then could use the rubber hose from the VA to the line if you need to make adjustments.

Keep a metal line going over the top of the head.

Rich Hartung

• Like 2

Nice work and attention to detail^^^^^^^

• Like 1

I wanted to have full adjustment of the distributor without bending the metal line so here's what I came up with...

The silicone hose has a 5/32 inside diameter so it fits snuggly on the 3/16 CuNi line. I got the hose from Napa (part # H467). It's made by Gates and is rated at 400 deg F. I might end up shortening the hose after I get the engine running.

20190203_101302_1549210963595_resized.jpg.fd7ffc202032589650fe0f9044607f99.jpg20190203_101319_1549210960857_resized.jpg.73a79fffb1c8cf9b4fa114bdae8df851.jpg20190203_101408_1549210957823_resized.jpg.30c2f246cfc141d1c4a1f372ae1df680.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ran mine around the back.   I guess whatever suits you....  

edit:  And I did use the NiCop line for ease of installation. 

63FCBC26-89DF-4DF0-AA14-7E589D11083D.jpeg

Edited by thebeebe5
  • Like 1