Harvie

I am trying to accumulate some spare parts to keep the 1947 Chrysler New Yorker with a 323.5 straight 8 rolling. I have a line on a MAX 4045 A starter locally but the information that I have seen online says that the correct Autolite starter is a MAX 4050 for my make and model and that the MAX 4045 A is for a 1941 Chrysler. Does anybody know if they are interchangeable?

According to my Hollander book the  MAX 4045 is for the 41 Chysler and the MAX 4050 fits 1942-48 Chrysler all models and 42 desoto fluid Drive.

So I would say that the MAX4045 willnot work on your 47 Chrysler.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

1946-48 Chrysler DeSoto starters will require you to draw from your 401K to pay for one.

They can be very trouble some and costly.

Thanks Chrysler 1941!

I was under the impression that the post war 46-48 cars were essentially the same as the 41's - I am very surprised to find that the starter isn't interchangeable!

I understand that the part numbers are different but is the actual starter the same? 

The starter is not the big issue the big issue is getting the Autolite Selinoid that mounts ontop of the starter motor.

These have been very hard to find and if you find one get ready to pay out some dollars it is an Autolite unit and only Autolite.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

1942 on up to 1948 Chrysler and desoto are all the same...starter motor and canted inward solenoid Autolite MAX 4050 .

The Hollander shows the MAX 4045 as fitting 1941 Chrysler all models but interchanges on some models of chrysler back to 1938 only.

I looked up the starter pinion nose housing between the 1941 and 1942-48  ...they are different probably because of the different methods of stater motor solenoid and manual pedal engagement.

All internal parts are the same.

I'd be careful and try to find the correct MAX4050 complete good operating starter.

The sloenoids have a tough life on a eight cylinder car.

I've dealt with many over the years. Parts are tough to find for sure...especially that 1946-48 solenoid.

Thanks very much everyone. So, just to be clear, the MAX 4045A starter cannot be used on a 1947 New Yorker is that right?

However, a lot of the internal components of the starter motor are the same as the MAX 4050.

But, the MAX 4050 and the MAX 4045A have different Solenoids (is solenoid called the "switch" in the chart that Chrysler1941 provided?).

Further, is the "starter pinion nose housing" that Dodgeb4ya is referencing part of the Solenoid/Switch or is it part of the starter?

Sorry you guys but you are way over my head! I really appreciate your help.

Autolite Starter Controls Soleinods.pdfAutolite Starter Controls Soleinods.pdfAutolite Starter Controls Soleinods.pdfAutolite Starter Controls Soleinods.pdfI found an old autolite document on Starter Controls and on the Desoto 1946-48  the starter solenoid is listed as being SS-4707. I will attach the document so you can see the information

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

So 42-48 Chrysler 6&8 used SS-4705 and 42-48 DeSoto used SS-4707.

SS-4707 are used on Chrysler from 49-50 but according to garbagestate 44. these are offset and can't be used.

Did Chrysler 6 and DeSoto have different bell-housing ?

Edited by chrysler1941