Has anybody tall thinned out their seatback?

When I had my upholstery re-covered at a pro shop I stupidly didn’t bring the frame with the bottom and back. They did a great job but it seems the back is now a little overstuffed on the bottom- it barely wants to hook to the tabs on the frame. 

Anyway it does work but I always thought it could fit better. Now that I lost a few lbs and also switched to a 13” steering wheel the wheel no longer flirts with my belly button so the advantage of thinning out the seat back would be a little more sorely needed leg room. 

I want to keep my cushy sprung seat base but I’m thinking about securing my existing vinyl cover over a thinner back. Maybe 1/2” plywood and upholstery foam with a little batting? That’d be easy to staple- no hogrings and listing wires to stretch. 

I tried zip tying all the seat back springs in compression before I had it recovered to gain a couple inches but I didn’t like the result.

Does anybody have any ideas or want to share their experience with a thinner seat back or replacing the metal and springs with wood & foam?

Thanks for any thoughts!

radar

Bummer, talk about being on the "edge of your seat" ? ( come on, you knew some was going to say it..... ) 

How is the bottom seat held in on the C series? 

while Wheaties was common in the day, the McFatburger was not...in placing your new components (column and wheel) did you position the wheel to the exact specs as it was factory in relationship to the seat bottom for leg room, seat back for belly clearance (dash to wheel and wheel to roof?) 

Questions answered in order:

Brent- the lower seat frame indexes to the frame of the butt cushion the front edge sits in a channel that traps it from moving fwd/back.

Plymouthy- the new column comes out a little farther than the stock one, and at a slightly steeper angle, and with a much smaller steering wheel. The stock setup would almost touch my coat if I was bundled up for winter. This one I set up inbetween the measurements on my ramcharger and my late model challenger. I made sure it had comfy arm placement with hands at 10 & 2 for spirited driving and feels great with my elbow out the window and right hand free for shifting for cruising.

My tummy and thighs don’t come close to hitting the wheel but my knees sure stick off the bench pretty good! That’s why I am thinking more room would be nice

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:15 AM, Radarsonwheels said:

Questions answered in order:

Brent- the lower seat frame indexes to the frame of the butt cushion the front edge sits in a channel that traps it from moving fwd/back.

The reason I asked is my thought was to move or add to the position stop, to move the lower seat forward to give you more support.

Edited by Brent B3B
photo removed
  • Thanks 1

This is how it fits together. Doesn’t look bad at all actually? The seat bottom is sitting in it’s channels and the back is where it wants to sit which if you look at the 3rd pic is a couple inches high of clipping into the tabs. 

The frame is a little broken in the back so the driver’s side wire that clips in is a little lower than the passenger side, so in the meantime I can weld that up and also weld taller tabs on the top of the frame to extend them up so they catch properly. 

Then if I find the truck really really needs another 2” of legroom I can swap out the spring frame and stuffing for plywood and 2” high density foam later.

0BB8B53D-42B8-4724-9D1D-D4057A9A3730.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 6:36 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

while Wheaties was common in the day, the McFatburger was not...in placing your new components (column and wheel) did you position the wheel to the exact specs as it was factory in relationship to the seat bottom for leg room, seat back for belly clearance (dash to wheel and wheel to roof?) 

I found an old picture and stuck it with a new one. There are some differences but nothing dramatic

76B26BFB-595D-403A-B251-4FDE97887C7D.jpeg

My firewall Is set back quite a bit as well.  While I have buckets mounted, my most comfortable position was by actually moving the entire seat forward and then leaning it back.   When I had the seat shoved back as far as it would go, the seating position was too upright and felt like I was folded up.  Moving forward and leaned back relaxed the knees and legs.  Since you have a standard height cab, you should be able to go up a bit and lean it back at the same time.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

When I had a B2B pilothouse there was plenty of leg room. I am 6'2". Then I got a 47 WD-20 and the cab dimensions are all considerably smaller and a lot less leg room.  I left the seat bottom as is.  I took the back off and replaced it with wooden seat back. Presently there is no cushioning at all and it is pretty comfortable.  I may or may not put 1 inch of foam and upholster it. But it works just fine and I have 6 more inches of room.

• Like 1

Radar, looking at this pic. the plywood idea seems that it may work. 5/8" marine grade would work fine I believe. Some maybe 2" thick High density foam to fit and reuse the upholstery.

Not using the steel rear seat cushion setup should  more than make up for the plywood thickness.??

If was thinner could it also be lowered some and the lower seat frame moved back  somewhat  for more leg room. maybe just a hair to help with the depth of the lower seat cushion ( more butt room).  ?

0BB8B53D-42B8-4724-9D1D-D4057A9A3730.jpeg.4f84c0d4f36ce69227f5427c60e1dd29.jpeg

I have about 11 miles on her so far and its pretty comfy. I like having the springs to catch me when the big motor pushes me back. If it starts feeling cramped on longer jaunts later I will do probably stretch this cover over some plywood & foam