53 steering box issues.

bergy

Hey guys,

Need some genuine advice.Recently got my 276  hemi  in my 1953 b4. 

It seems that  when I try to install. the starter it doesnt bolt up to the trans due to a corner of the block protruding into the space. I called hot heads hemi and They never heard of a problem like that. Every single goes on th they never heard of a problem like that. So if I have A 904 transmission instead of a 727 transmission which one of the  A 904 transmission instead of a 727 transmission which one of the torque converter’s do I buy to match up with the starter.

Issue number two . Since the new starter is right in front of the stock  since the new starter is right in front of the stock steering box if any you guys put a hemi in your old truck cool how did you re-route the steeriing.I thought maybe going to a later year that had a V-8 stock motor this  I thought maybe going to a later year that had a V-8 stock motor this steering gear would mount different and give me clearance .  I am keeping the drop front axle . Thank you for your help

Sometimes blocks have lugs that need to be ground down to be used in a different application. I’ve done plenty of that for header clearance etc.

If you are using a new style mini starter like off a 90s dodge truck they spin fast and start better than the old gigantic gear reduction starters that came on muscle cars but since they were made for so many applications there are a bunch of different versions of the power and solenoid lugs on them- some with bulky plastic housed extensions. Most of those can be stripped down to a tighter arrangement of big and little studs. 

I’m not sure how much hot rodding and year/application mismatching you’re doing but those are the two places I’d look to improve the fit. Can you post pics of the bellhousing starter cavity, starter, and block interference? There are a lot of dudes on here with hemis, polys, and older stuff I only have a 6.1 6 speed and a bunch of wedges. No experience to help for exactly your hemi starter.

good luck!

radar

14 minutes ago, Radarsonwheels said:

If you are using a new style mini starter like off a 90s dodge truck they spin fast and start better than the old gigantic gear reduction starters that came on muscle cars

yeah this is true, but in the past you could be walking across the grocery store parking lot, and hear a mopar 5 rows away starting up!