Intake + Exhaust manifold removal

Mike S

The key number is thirteen .  If you don't have 13 fasteners on the bench you shoud have before trying to pry or chisel.  Some times a light slide hammer and chain can work if the engine is out of the car. The manifolds should come off as attached components, which can later be separated on the bench.

Edited by greg g

I apologize for the delayed response. You guys are awesome!  I only had 11 nuts removed.Thanks "greg g"! Still had difficulty finding the missing 2 until "The Oil Soup" posted.  One of them didn't have a nut on the stud and the other one was easy to loosen but the nut is just spinning on the end of the stud. Guess the threads on that stud are corroded. However, the manifold still doesn't want to come off.  I will wait until the light of day and give it another shot.  I will update this post as soon as I make some more progress. Thanks again to all!

Well gentlemen, I found the issue. The stud between #4 and #5 was the one that did not have a nut on it. However, it apparently corroded so bad that it basically rust welded (for lack of a better term) to the exhaust manifold. I had to use multiple chisels to inch the manifold away from the head evenly just millimeters at a time. (See pic below of the single stud hanging on to half of the manifold. The manifold was cracked in several places and was in bad shape before this. Of course, now it is in really bad shape. ?  Does anyone have a recommendation of where to find new exhaust and intake manifold for a P15 in a 1947 Plymouth Deluxe?

20190117_125942.jpg.0105e02b0a15bd023824212f579b587a.jpg

Mike.......dunno if this helps at all but here in Oz I have found at least THREE different exhaust manifolds to suit the 23" Dodge/Plymouth engine.........this was when I was playing with a 230 engine  and being a RHD car the engine was going into,  the various US/LHD aftermarket headers such as the Fentons and other versions would not fit due to the RHD steering box being in the way.............what I found was that there is an exhaust manifold that dumps between cylinder 2 & 3, another that dumps between cylinders 5 and 6 and a third exhaust manifold that dumps at cylinder # 7(well where a 7th cylinder would be......lol)......as you can see in this attached pic I was able to use one of each of the 1st two style manifolds and remove the heat box and the front/rear of the manifolds and get a local blacksmith to weld up the open ends making a neat pair of split manifolds.............now I don't know if any of this is relevant to your situation but I thought it may help in chasing down the correct manifold to suit your car..............lol.........maybe......and I am doubtful if the three manifolds I mention had anything to do with the RHD arrangement also...............regards from Oz..........Andy Douglas   

IMG_1387.JPG

• Like 1

I am assuming you did some damage on removal...however if you did not break the cast iron manifold itself, and the nicks aren't extreme, you could get the unit resurfaced at the machine shop....cost would be more cost effective doing this than buying one that may need be resurfaced also...if nicks are an issue....do inspect the very block itself to ensure this surface is also suitable for new gasket and effectively seal proper on installation.

• Like 1

I see you're mas o menos commuting distance from Dallas.  If memory serves me correctly, there are several salvage yards in/around Denton that specialize in older cars, and Dallas is practically surrounded by salvage yards as well, if you're willing to go the used parts route.  A couple in Denton have been discussed in this Forum in the distant past.  The 218ci as in your car served for many years, so there are a lot of them out there that still haven't been picked over.  Worth a look-see, and if they let you look around it'd be a hoot to just spend some time at them (the ones with old cars, that is).  

• Like 1

Mike S,

On your picture it does appear that the front section of the exhaust manifold is already off the motor-IE broken into two parts or more already??

While at some expense some say that they Can? be repaired if all pieces are available but  reliability for the long run?

Finding a replacement may take some time and expense but will be cheaper and longer lasting.

It is Really good idea to have a machine shop surface the edges of the  two- intake and exhaust manifold mounting surfaces .

Just my opinion but have worked on a fair amount of old flattie sixes in the past.

Pretty obvious, but replace all the studs , bolts, nuts and washers  with correct parts (are easily avail) and put a good sealer on all the block side threads as many go into water jackets on the motor.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
Add info
  • Like 1