mufler explosion

captden29

trying to do a simple tune up, i ended up with the wrong rotor. after cranking too much with no start, a spark got into the system and blew the muffler apart. i tried to contact Kepich exhaust for a new one as that is where it came from. their phone number is no longer in service. are they out of business? where else to look for just a muffler? 1954 Windsor 6 cyl.    capt den

you can find about any muffler by pipe size, length, width, dia. round, pancake (oval) etc and one great source is to go to the big box store and ask to see their Walker Muffle/Exhaust book or just as easy measure your existing muffler and look on e-bay with those measurement if you wish not to go look in the book.  You even have a choice for performance and some selection in tone...

I have to wonder if you got the distributor in 180 degrees off after your tuneup. This would have the ignition sparking at the end of the exhaust stroke instead of on the compression stroke. If the exhaust system is loaded up with fuel from extended cranking, trying to start it, that delayed spark can ignite that fuel vapor exiting the cylinder and causing the explosion that took out your muffler.  Did you have the distributor out to replace the points?

it was a combination of things, but the dist. was in properly but the wires were off by one or two.the timing was bad because i played with the arm on the underside of the dist. not really knowing what it is there for. i still do not know why it is there and the manual does not mention it. what big box store sells mufflers? i ordered new tune up parts that are NOS and not Chinese. i put all the old stuff back in and the car runs fine. what's the old saying about if it's not broke? while i got the car up for the muffler i can do the universals. i finally found a set for a reasonable price.   captden

Boom.  A few years ago, trying to set my timing, I got it off by almost one plug.  My ears rang for a half-hour. 

I was able to get a standard muffler at the local O'Reilly's.   I have a collection of various pipes with various flared ends, and I have a tail pipe expander, so getting a muffler to fit is a small challenge.   

1381442993_201508BOOM.JPG.6b75e5faf0845401267e498afada20b5.JPG

2 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

Boom.  A few years ago, trying to set my timing, I got it off by almost one plug.  My ears rang for a half-hour. 

I was able to get a standard muffler at the local O'Reilly's.   I have a collection of various pipes with various flared ends, and I have a tail pipe expander, so getting a muffler to fit is a small challenge.   

1381442993_201508BOOM.JPG.6b75e5faf0845401267e498afada20b5.JPG

Look like you found a cheap way to have some straight exhaust exit/bypass the muffler through pipe like they do on some the high $ cars on TV, but without the electric open/close button!  ?

DJ

One day several years ago I was driving down the street and the car, which had been running OK (as I recall) backfired.

Yes, the muffler was a lot fatter after that.  

Now I'm using a later model resonator muffler, which we happened to have lying around at the time.  It generally works

alright, but is a little louder than stock.  

Sources of mufflers should be parts stores and muffler shops.