C Series Gauge Question?

CO54

Been doing a lot of research and planning before I start diving into my '54 C-1 (still in temporary storage), but with my plans of updating to 12V system and going to a 1-wire alternator I'm curious with the gauges.  Can anyone give me an idea of the overall dimensions of the C series cluster and how wide the original gauge display openings are?  I'm thinking about updating all 4 gauges to newer gauges that'll work with the 12V system easier and provide electrical sensors in the block for the oil/temp gauges.  I would like to keep the outside appearance of the factory style cluster, only with new inside guts essentially.

Here's a sample of the style gauges I'm looking at:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-1715/media/instructions

I know I might have to get creative with mounting, and inside trim, but that's part of the fun right?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

18 minutes ago, CO54 said:

Been doing a lot of research and planning before I start diving into my '54 C-1 (still in temporary storage), but with my plans of updating to 12V system and going to a 1-wire alternator I'm curious with the gauges.  Can anyone give me an idea of the overall dimensions of the C series cluster and how wide the original gauge display openings are?  I'm thinking about updating all 4 gauges to newer gauges that'll work with the 12V system easier and provide electrical sensors in the block for the oil/temp gauges.  I would like to keep the outside appearance of the factory style cluster, only with new inside guts essentially.

Here's a sample of the style gauges I'm looking at:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-1715/media/instructions

I know I might have to get creative with mounting, and inside trim, but that's part of the fun right?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

many folks do not recall that when the industry went to 12 volts the very movements for the gauges remained as it was for 6 volt operation..thus the need to address the voltage issues.  While many swear by the runtz style dropping resistor, the application of a CVR as introduced by the industry to address this issue remains a valid application yet today.  One can even devise solid state regulators, zeneer diodes etc etc....If your current gauges are ok and you wish just to be able to rely on them, correct for your supply voltage.  If you wish just to upgrade gauges for looks, then there are so many choice out there it would be hard to suggest a certain style, size or from an X appearance group as that will all be a personal choice.  In 54 the sender for the fuel tank had long been upgraded to a single wire style and based again on your gauges of choice...MUST match the said used gauge for resistance for accuracy.

Thanks for the response, the thought of replacing the gauges with modern gauges (hopefully) inside the original cluster bezel / lens assembly is for a couple reasons.  Reliability, accuracy and also ease of maintenance moving forward. I know there are a lot of variables with the gauges that need to be addressed.  Old are set up for 6V so resistors would be required on a 12V system along with addressing any polarity issues and lighting issues.  The fuel sender is a concern when it comes to Ohms required for the 54, but there are different options available as well.  

For me personally, I'm trying to update some items to a cleaner engine with electronic temp sender, and oil pressure sensor for example. This is obviously just my opinion and my preference, along with a voltage meter vs an ammeter.

I'm just trying to find out what the dimensions of it are so that I can continue to do some research and know what options I have available when I get to that point. 

Thanks

Eric

The stock gauges will work with a 12 volt system.

The only thing you need to do is drop the voltage to

the fuel gauge. Use something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Heavy-Duty-Electric-12-Volt-To-6-Volt-Reducer-Resistor-For-Fans-Motors/162723814029

The mechanical oil and temperature gauge are more durable and accurate than electric gauges.

I have tried the runtz style and am not happy with the results. The voltage is too high and the gauges aren’t that accurate. However, I am not giving up and will soon try one as recommended by Kevin. I would agree that the mechanical oil pressure gauge is the way to go. It is the one I look at the most anyways. As for fitting new guts inside your original gauges, good luck and post up some pics if you can make it work. There isn’t a lot of room to work with there.