Long journey

Hi all , I’m looking at driving my truck 600miles back to my home , have any of you guys done this kind of mileage in a Pilothouse and if so how did the truck do and what would you say a good speed would be for one of these as I’ve only ever done short journeys in it (100 mile)It’s got a 3.73 rear in it . 

Any info would be appreciated 

Thanks.

I put around 1800 miles on mine in one week this past fall. I drove it from Wisconsin to Tennessee for a WPC Annual Meet. It was about 800 miles one way. We broke the trip up into a couple of days each way to minimize the stress on us, and the truck. I traveled mostly on the Interstate highways at around 70 MPH. I also have 3.73 gears.

• Like 1

In 1997 I drove my 1938 Dodge Brothers half ton pickup from Minnesota to Vermont via Canada. About 6 years ago I drove it on a tour of 600+ miles over one week.  The truck is as original as possible and performed great.

Pete

Last spring I drove my B3B on a 320+\_ drive. It has the 218 and 3:73 . I cruise at 65 on the interstate, could easily go 70 but I like to loiter among the trucks, but not in them. That eliminates a lot of passing. I usually take a brief break about every 60 minutes to relax my right leg. Do the drive, you will enjoy it. 

After about 300 miles, do a flashlight safety, performance check. Keep a close eye on the carburetor top four screws, keep them tight. 

Edited by pflaming

This probably goes with saying, but I would carry some basic stuff with me.  When I was a teen, it was still common to have carburetors and points in your daily driver.  Most savvy folks I knew had some tools, fluids, rags and a spare set of points on board.  

On 1/9/2019 at 7:02 PM, Old CWO said:

This probably goes with saying, but I would carry some basic stuff with me.  When I was a teen, it was still common to have carburetors and points in your daily driver.  Most savvy folks I knew had some tools, fluids, rags and a spare set of points on board.  

Mostly you need your cell phone w/you; then, as suggested above, some basic stuff, but also a spare belt, duct tape, flash light, etc.?

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:10 AM, The Oil Soup said:

Hey Old CWO, how near are you to Bonneville and have you taken your truck there?

I'm about 375 miles from the flats.  I have never been to Bonneville for speed week but it's definitely on the to-do list.

38 minutes ago, Dodgeed said:

Mostly you need your cell phone w/you; then, as suggested above, some basic stuff, but also a spare belt, duct tape, flash light, etc.?

Cell phone?  That's no fun!  You're supposed to change your points on the side of the road in the rain at night while wearing your Sunday clothes using a matchbook as a feeler gauge...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Old CWO said:

Cell phone?  That's no fun!  You're supposed to change your points on the side of the road in the rain at night while wearing your Sunday clothes using a matchbook as a feeler gauge...

Yup, I've done some things very nearly like that, "back in the day", and believe me, at this stage in my life, no more. For me, now, its: cell phone, call a tow, let someone else do it. I'm over it (fixing stuff on the side of the road, in a bad neighborhood, at night, in the rain, in my good clothes, w/o tools, trying to MacGyver it.......... )?

• Like 2

I concur with extra parts in these vehicles, but not because if unavailability or undependability. In the '50's and 60's we never had extra parts and I never broke down on the road. In 1958 in September I drove a '50 Plymouth from western Nebraska to Fresno California, drove it all winter in CA, then back to NE in May.. 

For me, extra parts and a AAA Premium tow insurance is for safety and peace of mind. If I have a problem, I get two 250 mile tows a year. That is quick and safe. The extra parts are for backup protection, should I be in a safe place and have time, I'm prepared with plan B.  JMHO. 

Edited by pflaming

3 hours ago, Dodgeed said:

Yup, I've done some things very nearly like that, "back in the day", and believe me, at this stage in my life, no more. For me, now, its: cell phone, call a tow, let someone else do it. I'm over it (fixing stuff on the side of the road, in a bad neighborhood, at night, in the rain, in my good clothes, w/o tools, trying to MacGyver it.......... )?

I had to chuckle reading your reply, brought back memories,,,,no cell phones back then. LOL

Gotta love Bonneville........150 mph from one patch of salt to another, no chance for a cell call....just hang on and try and stay in your lane.

48D