1950 Plymouth special deluxe from Canada

canadiandeluxe

I was directed here from the aaca forums and figured id start a thread about my project here and see what the pros think.

I found an old car on kijiji not too far away from me so I bought it off the old guy for $2500 but he gave me $100 back for family discount lol. For being a 70 year old car the body is in great shape with only rusty floors and a bit where the trunk seal went. The little ive had it running from gas in the carb the engine runs and starts really good so not touching the ignition system but I have ordered a new fuel pump and when it gets here will make sure the lines aren't clogged and all gross. And I got some oil filters so I can change it a few times and drive it over summer. Got other things to fix but need time and money first.

small pic.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!  I also have a 1950 Special Deluxe, they are tough old girls and with a little tuning can be very reliable drives.  Back in the day everyone's aunt and grandmother drove one, at least that must have been the case based on the comments I always hear when people talk to me about the car, so they must have been reliable...

You should have a lot of fun with it, just try to drive it more than you work on it!

Rich

Hey,

Nice looking find. After you install the new fuel pump, make sure to drain the bad gas from the tank and lines. Then add a half a quart of seafoam to 5 gallons of gas and run the car for about an 15 minutes to bring it up to temp and then drain the oil and change it.  Add the last half quart of seafoam to the oil and run it for about 100 miles. This should clean out the valves lifters as well as clean out the engine.

I don't know how long it sat, but I'd definitely check the radiator and at least flush it as well.

Joe

Edited by soth122003

oh ya I was planning on cleaning the tank out and the lines before I hook up the new pump. It had been sitting most likely for around 15 plus years I think, I have already flushed out the rad a bit and will need a few more flushes once its on the car again, I thought maybe it was leaking but I think I just had the bottom hose loose. The interior in my car is actually in really good shape considering how old the car is and I doubt its been redone.

Also I'm curios if anyone here has converted these old cars to a 12v system or not. I just want to for modern touches and stuff.

Great looking car. Reminds me of my old 1949 Dodge Special Deluxe, she was a great car and would drive all day at 50mph. She never let me down and always got lots of attention.

Where are you located?

Always one of my favorites, I have not been without a 50 Plymouth since 1965.   When a teen age driver starts rolling up 20 000 miles a year on a car that was already 15 years old, the weak spots soon make themselves known.  My first 50 was such a good car I drove it for 14 years .   My present 50 which I have had since 1993 leads a much more sheltered life. One of the in-between ones was treated to a small block chev  and later a slant six, but I always preferred the originals, especially when fitted with Overdrive.  Happy Motoring.

Ok I have a question for the old nerds here. I got my car running and drove it up and down the lane once so get it running smooth again then parked it back in the garage but it seemed to be leaking a substantial amount of water from the bell housing as mine has a hole in the bottom, I put a small cup under it and it quickly over filled. Is there any way that water from the engine can get back into that area or what the heck is going on there? 

On 1/11/2019 at 6:42 AM, 1949 Wraith said:

Great looking car. Reminds me of my old 1949 Dodge Special Deluxe, she was a great car and would drive all day at 50mph. She never let me down and always got lots of attention.

Where are you located?

I live in east central Alberta, got the car from an old guy in Red Deer.

Hey Canadian

Dollars to donuts it's a core/freeze plug. Look on the left side of the engine right above the oil pan and you'll see them( should be 5 in a row). If I am not mistaken the last one is on the back of the engine and ….. duh duh duh covered by the bell housing. If your water is pouring out,(about a cup at less than 5 minutes, pull the tranny and bell housing and replace it. If it is a slow leak and you can wait, try some radiator sealant. 

If you are going to replace it, replace all of them at once and be done with it.

Joe

Edited by soth122003

On 1/14/2019 at 12:29 PM, soth122003 said:

Hey Canadian

Dollars to donuts it's a core/freeze plug. Look on the left side of the engine right above the oil pan and you'll see them( should be 5 in a row). If I am not mistaken the last one is on the back of the engine and ….. duh duh duh covered by the bell housing. If your water is pouring out,(about a cup at less than 5 minutes, pull the tranny and bell housing and replace it. If it is a slow leak and you can wait, try some radiator sealant. 

If you are going to replace it, replace all of them at once and be done with it.

Joe

Ya im guessing its a freeze plug too, do you have to pull the clutch and flywheel to get to the plugs too? I guess that way I can get a look at my clutch and stuff. If I have to take my clutch off I will need an aligning tool too.

I would rather not gunk of my old cooling system with radiator sealant. And if definetly leaks too much to just leave it, I don't want my clutch to be in a water bath.

Also have any of you guys messed around with 6 to 12V converters at all because when I get there I'm thinking about running some accessories off of that and a small battery for some cushion. 

And this is random but even the old vacuum wipers still work on the old girl so I'm glad I don't have to mess with that. 

If your good enough and young enough, you can pull the tranny then the bell housing with the clutch and flywheel. Here is where young and good come in. Install a new throw out bearing, reassemble the bell housing on the tranny then install the press plate and then the clutch plate and put the whole thing on as one unit. Make sure the car is on blocks and the center floor pan is pulled, then use a jack to raise the assy and slide it into the pilot bearing and install the bell housing bolts. Inspect and or replace the pilot bearing before the install. Other wise get an alignment tool and reverse the tear down. But `change the throw out bearing anyway.

Joe

Clutch and flywheel must be removed before removing the bell housing. The upper part of the bell housing goes between the flywheel and block. 

1. Remove transmission

2. Remove clutch

3. Remove flywheel

4. Remove bell housing

5. Replace core plug

6. Reverse order for reassembly

15 hours ago, canadiandeluxe said:

Also have any of you guys messed around with 6 to 12V converters at all because when I get there I'm thinking about running some accessories off of that and a small battery for some cushion. 

And this is random but even the old vacuum wipers still work on the old girl so I'm glad I don't have to mess with that. 

When I replaced the vacuum wipers on my 1950 Special Deluxe I purchased the 12V wiper conversion from Newport Engineering and their 6 to 12 volt convertor.  The convertor isn't the least expensive but it works well and the instructions were clear. In addition to the wipers I am also using it to power some Bluetooth speakers so I have tunes.

16 hours ago, canadiandeluxe said:

Before you go thru with the change, try this.

It worked for me.

Wiper Oiling.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just throwing an update on this thread, Finally got the bell housing off the 218 after many weekends of wrenching. Found the leaky core plug and will replace them all for sure. It was a process to get it out though, undid the engine mounts and had to fight with built up grease around the bolt heads to even get a socket on them. So now the engine is chilling at home being held up with a floor jack waiting for me to return. It is good though because now I can clean up all the greasy parts to make it easier to reinstall. 

Is there anything else I should do while I have all that stuff torn apart?