Engine problem

nelle

22 hours ago, nelle said:

Thank you Mr Neal.  I cannot duplicate the problem in the driveway.  I have tried. Runs fine in driveway even at approx engine speed when the problem occurs.  Must be a difference when under load vs no load. It puzzles me why the issue only happens after driving 2 miles.  No problem at all getting to the 2 mile point running at 40 and with several starts and stops.

I also lean towards the fuel delivery diagnosis (insufficient pressure). As you mention above, the problem happens after driving 2 miles from your driveway...Do you perhaps have an uphill climb at that distance which would require more throttle to maintain speed? 

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since I asked the group about an engine problem. Many good replies.  It ended up being a fuel delivery problem as some of you suggested. For some unknown reason, once the engine was fully hot, the fuel pump stops working.  New fuel pump seems to have solve the problem. I am still puzzled about exactly what caused the pump to fail at high temp but glad to be back on the road. Thanks for all of your suggestions. - Steve