Me and the B-1-D

Worden18

On 6/14/2019 at 11:33 PM, Worden18 said:

Just remind the DMV when you go in there that you know the rules and you have a plate with one letter on it as you lay it in front of them.  

Had no problems at the DMV when I too my period plate in for FEF, they just ran the number to make sure it wasn't registered to a different vehicle, I paid my bucks and walked out happy.  I got my plate at the 50's swap meet.  Just had to dig thru all the vendors that had them.  Ended up with 4 plates I think and used the best.

35 minutes ago, FlashBuddy said:

Interesting. Here in Colorado I was told; because my plate was not in their database I couldn't use it. Perhaps I should try a different office or start scrounging up differen't '50's plates?!

20190617072553-12753f96-xl.jpg

You could argue the point with them that it was unissued.  Doesn't matter what condition it's in.  

1 hour ago, FlashBuddy said:

You'll get smoother shifts if you double clutch the up shifts too. Crazy, I know!

I do double clutch the upshifts, but I always have trouble between first and second because it's impossible to gain speed in first gear. ?

Better to save granny gear for something else and just start off in second.

1 hour ago, Worden18 said:

I do double clutch the upshifts, but I always have trouble between first and second because it's impossible to gain speed in first gear. ?

Better to save granny gear for something else and just start off in second.

its what I do

June 17:

My son and I took a quick spin.  I was going to go by myself but then I seen him running down the driveway in his socks haha!  So then he ran back and got his shoes on and we went down the road. He made a comment that the gears sound like my John Deere loader.

Pic 2: somebody's homemade exhaust patch job. I'll be pulling that apart soon.

IMG_20190617_204031623~2.jpg

IMG_20190617_205213628~2.jpg

I need to start working on either shining up that oxidized paint, or trying to get down to the original paint. Yeah I know, that would be a hell of a project. I also have some ideas for distressed lettering for the doors that I know is going to be really awesome. I'll do it myself. ?

IMG_20190617_211526779~2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

Did you get the brakes working yet?

Not yet.  I think that's next on my list even before the tune up, meaning I'm hoping to be able to save what is already on the truck.  If I need new wheel cylinders and everything else that goes with it, I might have to wait till a little bit. At least I'll get it diagnosed. 

Is it safe for me to take the wheels off? I'm worried about those split rims. Do I even dare put air in them if they are low?  What dangers am I looking at in handling them? Is it only if someone tries to remove the tire from the rim itself?

Also, are the driver's side lug nuts opposite threads?

Look for an "L" on the end of the studs to indicate left hand threads.

Lock ring wheels are safe to handle once aired up and locked in. When they need to be caged is when airing up after assembly, or if one had been driven on with low air pressure. To be safe when airing up a tire, get a clip on tire chuck with a long enough hose so that you can clip it onto the valve stem and stand off to the side while adding air. I have one that I've made up for airing up large equipment tires with lock rings. I have a ball valve with a pressure gauge at the other end of the hose so that I can check the pressure and control the air flow while standing away from the lock ring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

June 21-22:

My son and I were messing around with the '48...till 1am!  My son is 9, and he says "Dad, I've never been up this late before".  I laughed and asked him to put on the next tune (from my ITunes to Bose speaker.  Just happened to be Hotel California).  My barn is an awesome workshop.  

Anyway, I did various things like jack up the front end and take the wheels off.  Got stumped a bit there.  As you can see in the picture, there's a "hubcap" , not a dust cover so to speak.  My manual says to unscrew them.  But with what?  Diameter across the flats is 2 1/4 inches.

IMG_20190621_224409831~2.jpg

17 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

I’ve used a large Channel Lock pliers with success. I believe there is a special socket for that, but I didn’t have one when I was helping Kris with the brakes on his 1 ton. 

Okay, thanks Merle.  I'll look into it.?

Maybe you might find this tool that came with the trucks when new..... maybe behind/under the seat?

1 to 2  Ton Front Wheel Grease cap Tool (6).JPG

1 to 2  Ton Front Wheel Grease cap Tool (7).JPG

1 to 2  Ton Front Wheel Grease cap Tool (1).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Maybe you might find this tool that came with the trucks when new..... maybe behind/under the seat?

1 to 2  Ton Front Wheel Grease cap Tool (6).JPG

1 to 2  Ton Front Wheel Grease cap Tool (7).JPG

1 to 2  Ton Front Wheel Grease cap Tool (1).JPG

I'll definitely look for it!?

Easy enough to make your own open end or box end wrench for that cap.  Box store tool set rentals for fan pulleys may contain an open end wrench that will fit the cap also.

Edited by Dave72dt
  • Thanks 1

Pliers work well enough unless the paint or chrome is real nice... them a socket.

• Thanks 1

What are the other applications for that wrench?           The middle hex is 1.125" and fits the minor brake adjust. I haven't figured the spanner end, yet. The dust cap is 2.250".

Edited by 9 foot box
added information

I don't know....anyone else know?

It might be in the owners manual.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:16 AM, ggdad1951 said:

Had no problems at the DMV when I too my period plate in for FEF, they just ran the number to make sure it wasn't registered to a different vehicle, I paid my bucks and walked out happy.  I got my plate at the 50's swap meet.  Just had to dig thru all the vendors that had them.  Ended up with 4 plates I think and used the best.

I brought my plates to dmv on Friday and they told me they had to call the state. They called and came back and told me the swap was not possible. I guess I did not have the same luck as you guys :( I might see if I can call the state myself and see what the deal really is.