Me and the B-1-D

Worden18

On 1/12/2019 at 5:24 PM, Worden18 said:

Just got this little gem in the mail today.  In my state the YOM plate must have at least one letter.  Not an easy find as most plates from that period are all numbers.  This was the only one on eBay.  Nice shape too.  I only need one plate. Can't wait to mount it. ?

IMG_20190112_171543060~2.jpg

I found some of these and they were delivered today. Do I just have to take them to the DMV and they register it to my vehicle? Or is this not possible?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpartington said:

I found some of these and they were delivered today. Do I just have to take them to the DMV and they register it to my vehicle? Or is this not possible?

It should be that simple....not sure what state you live in.  Here in Minnesota, the YOM plate needs to have at least one letter on it so as to not conflict with certain state vehicles, which have all numbers.  I did this with my Meadowbrook and that plate isn't even readable beyond like 10 feet! LOL

Otherwise, if your DMV doesn't allow it, you can put on any plate you desire while you're at a show or gathering.  Then, if it were me, I'd conveniently leave them on and if I was ever pulled over I'd just say I left from a car show and forgot to change the plates.  The cops around here don't even bother with us car enthusiasts.  I could put on any plate I chose ?

Edited by Worden18

6-14-19:

Time to get some things done!  I bought a battery and some nice 00 cables, a fuel filter, and brought along the carburetor I rebuilt. Took me 10 times longer than it would anybody else, but I got the truck running.  It fired right up as a matter of fact. I pulled it out of my friend's storage shed and my kids and I drove it around the parking lot. The brakes don't work but the emergency brake does, so I just drove in first gear. I couldn't believe how easy it steered. I had great visibility as well. You can see your blind spot out of those little side windows behind your head.  I'm hoping to haul it home later tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll make it back over there.  Can't wait to get it home so I can work on it in my own garage!

IMG_20190614_121251353_HDR~2.jpg

3 hours ago, Worden18 said:

It should be that simple....not sure what state you live in.  Here in Minnesota, the YOM plate needs to have at least one letter on it so as to not conflict with certain state vehicles, which have all numbers.  I did this with my Meadowbrook and that plate isn't even readable beyond like 10 feet! LOL

Otherwise, if your DMV doesn't allow it, you can put on any plate you desire while you're at a show or gathering.  Then, if it were me, I'd conveniently leave them on and if I was ever pulled over I'd just say I left from a car show and forgot to change the plates.  The cops around here don't even bother with us car enthusiasts.  I could put on any plate I chose ?

I am in Minnesota as well. It does have a letter, starts with a T.

Love the truck by the way!

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

You didn’t take the truck and trailer over there for the startup? 

I was going to borrow a trailer from the guy whom owns the building it was stored in.  He's a business owner and was occupied with some clients, so I headed out to his place after I got the truck running to get his trailer.  It was buried in the dirt from the rains and I couldn't crank it up.  Also, I couldn't find his chains and binders; he has so much stuff....you wouldn't believe it.  I was running late and had to pick up my daughter from daycare so I had to abandon all of that.

I borrowed another friend's trailer and my older daughter and I headed over there to load it up.  I'm no expert at loading things onto a trailer but I got it squared up pretty good and chained down really well.  Here's a picture of us leaving Houston Minnesota where it was stored.

IMG_20190614_215552647~2.jpg

We drove 55 miles an hour across the interstate on the way home with no problems. Here's a picture of everything parked in the big shed. I also have an aluminum trailer, my Cadillac, and my John Deere 444 loader parked in there.  Sorry the picture wasn't better but I have no power in the shed and had to rely just on the flash of my phone.  

The EcoDiesel did really well pulling it. No problems at all.

IMG_20190614_231402092~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18

One more pic from inside the shed.  I'll unload it in the morning and drive it around for a bit and then park it in my garage and get it ready for some updates ?

IMG_20190614_231511356~2.jpg

2 hours ago, jpartington said:

I am in Minnesota as well. It does have a letter, starts with a T.

Love the truck by the way!

Just remind the DMV when you go in there that you know the rules and you have a plate with one letter on it as you lay it in front of them.  

John,

I like it that your kids are "into" older cars and trucks, but what method is used to determine who "rides shotgun" and who has to sit in the middle ?

3 hours ago, wldavis3 said:

John,

I like it that your kids are "into" older cars and trucks, but what method is used to determine who "rides shotgun" and who has to sit in the middle ?

They love the old cars/trucks.  They have both driven the Meadowbrook.  It's in their blood.  As far as riding shotgun, that usually involves bickering and racing to the car!

Father's Day:

I got to do some work on the '48 today.  Got my lawn mowed too; which takes about 4 hours. The kids helped with some of that. ?

Anyway, I removed the nasty headliner that somebody put in there which was just horrible, and those homemade door panels which were equally as horrible.  I also took off the license plates because I'm going to run a year of manufacture plate. Found out that the truck really needs a tune-up badly; it just spits and sputters after you get to about 1/3 throttle.  But I was able to drive it and shift all the way to 4th gear on the gravel roads by our house.  I just had to be extra cautious because I only have the emergency brake ?.  I tried adjusting the idle on the carburetor but the truck really needs the choke closed about 1/3 in order to run somewhat better.  Exhaust has a big hole in it as well. 

I'm going to get a pertronix kit, new plugs, wires, cap, etc.

IMG_20190616_113304151~2.jpg

IMG_20190616_113323601_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 3

I removed all the extra parts/junk from inside the cab and things I had thrown into the bed.  I let the tailgate hang by the chains just because.  I put a bungee cord over the battery until I can get the proper threaded bolts to secure it.  Took it for several rides down the gravel road about a mile.  To hear the gears whine while smelling that "old truck" scent was true bliss.  I was impressed with the ride. It wasn't bumpy at all, and our gravel road is not smooth.  The seat is very comfortable and it was just a joy to drive! 

IMG_20190616_114257019_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190616_121119416_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1

I don't believe the wood in the bed is original.  It's in pretty darn good shape though, and should do just fine with anything I want to haul.  I also found out my headlights don't work, neither do the blinkers. But when I turn the parking lights on, the tiny little lights in the front lit up along with the tail lights.  Going to have some electrical work to do. The original AMP gauge is missing. Someone wired in an after-market one which I'm going to tear out of there.

IMG_20190616_113622852_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18

Short video for you guys.  I started off in first gear and ground it when I shifted to second. ? I know, better to start off in 2nd gear.  shifting from 2nd to 3rd to 4th and then downshifting went pretty well since I hadn't double clutched anything since the late-90s. 

• Like 1