Me and the B-1-D

Worden18

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I made this up which is pretty close to factory design though for a group two battery.

I did not fab the bottom lipped tray though as I didn't want it or need it. The hold down was enough to hold the battery tight in place.

B3D group 2 battery tray (5).JPG

B3D group 2 battery tray (2).JPG

B3D group 2 battery tray (6).JPG

Very nice.  Looks good!  Before I fab anything I need to sort through all those extra parts I got with the truck.  What I need might be in there. ?

most of the original battery trays didn't fare well over the years from acid leaks...I think someone pointed you to the files I made to fab up a new one.  It will lack the embossing the originals had, but will work great.  If you have access to a CNC laser or plasma the dxf file should spit out a nice blank for you.

• Like 1

Starters, generators, carburetors, distributors, oil baths, oil filter canisters, brackets, oil pumps,  flywheel, seals, and a whole bunch of other stuff, some of which I have no idea what they are. I will post pictures of those in a little while to see if you guys can identify them

IMG_20190119_140536575~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18

5 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

4, 5, and 6

IMG_20190119_140641560~2.jpg

cab mount

IMG_20190119_140549902~2.jpg

crank pulley nut for crank handle starting at the top. 

IMG_20190119_140713209~2.jpg

throwout bearings

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

Okay fellas, let's play "what are these parts?"

We'll just go pic 1, 2, 3, etc. Continuing to the next post.

IMG_20190119_140438760~2.jpg

pedal bushing? hard to tell size

IMG_20190119_140429267~2.jpg

horn button and horn pieces

IMG_20190119_140544058~2.jpg

spring shackles

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

pedal bushing? hard to tell size

horn button and horn pieces

spring shackles

The possible pedal bushing.... I could maybe fit my thumb through it.  It's maybe an inch and a half long.

The brackets in pic #5, next to the crank pulley nut, I can't identify as anything on a Pilot-House truck that I'm aware of.

The springs/bolts in pic #8... My first thought was fuel tank mounting bolts, but there should be a spacer inside the springs and they don't have a cotter pin retainer that I'm aware of. I believe Ed commented about the being cab mount bolts. That very well could be on a W-Series,  or Power Wagon, but not for a Pilot-House truck.

And the item in pic #9 I also can't identify as anything on a Pilot-House truck. These may very well be spare parts from something else that were tossed into your pile of parts.

The comments of pic #1 bushing being for a clutch pedal is interesting, but my first thought was flywheel pilot bushing. I don't believe the pedal bushings would be that thick, and wouldn't be oilite.

Pic #2; Horn button parts, but the horn button is the center of a horn ring for a B3 / B4 truck. The B1 and B2 just had a black plastic button that fit inside the steering wheel opening.

Pic #3; Spring shackles

Pic #4; Cab mount, or rear engine mount.

Pic #6; Clutch throw out bearings.

Pic #7;  Looks like a piston wrist pin (grudgeon pin) retainer clip, as stated earlier.

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

The brackets in pic #5, next to the crank pulley nut, I can't identify as anything on a Pilot-House truck that I'm aware of.

The springs/bolts in pic #8... My first thought was fuel tank mounting bolts, but there should be a spacer inside the springs and they don't have a cotter pin retainer that I'm aware of. I believe Ed commented about the being cab mount bolts. That very well could be on a W-Series,  or Power Wagon, but not for a Pilot-House truck.

Interesting. Those bolts look 100% like the W series cab mount bolts. Just like the B series the one for the drivers corner is different so with the one mount pictured and 3 bolts it seemed like a match. Do the B series trucks mount solid to the frame except for the drivers corner with the rubber mounts?

The B-Series used rubber mounts at all 4 corners, but the left front is missing the lower rubber to make it stiffer. Here is a page from my manual. The pic in the lower left corner does appear to be the same as the springs picture. As noted, that is for the Power Wagons only, which still used the W-Series cab.

Cab_mounts.JPG.d410b935ce4a87f7e7b5846cbf10a6e7.JPG

Quick question fellas.  Will my truck's tranny accept a PTO?  Does anyone have a winch on their truck, front or rear?  I know that's mostly a Power Wagon thing; my '55 had an 8k lb. Braden.  But I've seen pics of some pilot house cabovers that had rear winches.

If you have a 4 speed then it should have a PTO cover, I believe on the right side. I don’t believe the 3 speeds are PTO ready.

Edit:  This trans is a later synchro version, but it the earlier 4 speeds would have the cover in front of the fill/level plug.

PA250827.jpg

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Thanks 1

Fellas, I need some help again. I was talking to a guy about my carburetor,(because it was leaking all over the manifold and I need to put a kit in it) and he was saying that it might have been leaking where the linkage goes into the carburetor, and that is not fixable. Is he even close to being correct? I have the one barrel ball and ball.  I'm worried that after I put a kit in it'll still leak.  Is there any way to tell by looking at it if that area is bad? I already have the carburetor off the truck.  I need to get the darn thing rebuilt and put back on so I can move the truck.  I do have a backup carburetor which is the exact same one that used to be on my flat fender Power Wagon. But I know that needs a kit as well.

Look for brown staining on the carb casting...that could be the source of the leak.  I had a Stromberg leak as the air horn was not sealing to the base...I put some sandpaper on a square of plate glass and trued up the mating surfaces, put it back together and the leak mostly went away...it seeped very little, that would gum up with dust over time, which I could live with :cool:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Fellas, I need some help again. I was talking to a guy about my carburetor,(because it was leaking all over the manifold and I need to put a kit in it) and he was saying that it might have been leaking where the linkage goes into the carburetor, and that is not fixable. Is he even close to being correct? I have the one barrel ball and ball.  I'm worried that after I put a kit in it'll still leak.  Is there any way to tell by looking at it if that area is bad? I already have the carburetor off the truck.  I need to get the darn thing rebuilt and put back on so I can move the truck.  I do have a backup carburetor which is the exact same one that used to be on my flat fender Power Wagon. But I know that needs a kit as well.

If it was leaking all over the manifold unlikely it was at the linkages. Those are more likely to cause air leaks. Sand the top with glass and sandpaper as mentioned above and put the kit in it. Remember the small BB goes under the accel pump!

• Thanks 1

Alright guys, I'm back with another question. I disassembled the carburetor today and started cleaning. I did see the retaining clip and check ball underneath accelerator pump.  However I'm not very confident on removing that retaining clip as it is very deep in the hole, and furthermore the instructions indicate that I may need a special tool to remove it. I'm more worried about getting it back into place once I remove it.  Maybe I should just leave it and that check ball in there?  Anyone else ever chicken out with this like I'm about to do? ?