Me and the B-1-D

Worden18

This is going to be a great thread. Lots of pix already, and you haven't even begun. Like I said before, since this truck is so original, mostly, it'll be fun comparing yours to ours, as you go along. I, for one, am going to learn lots from your thread. Thanks for all the pictures. ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dodgeed said:

This is going to be a great thread. Lots of pix already, and you haven't even begun. Like I said before, since this truck is so original, mostly, it'll be fun comparing yours to ours, as you go along. I, for one, am going to learn lots from your thread. Thanks for all the pictures. ?

I really enjoy posting things, even the small stuff.  Mostly because I know you guys are as excited about the truck as I am, and that means a lot.  I just want to preserve the truck, fix things on it, and actually be able to use it and enjoy it. And of course share that with all of you guys.  I figured out how to crop pictures right on my phone and be able to post them so they are the right size to fit on this website.  It makes it a lot easier than having to transfer pictures from my phone to my computer and then post them.  So yes, be prepared for a lot of pictures. It makes it more fun. ?

• Like 1

I talked to an old friend who owns a body shop not too far from me and asked him if there is any way that I could strip off the red paint and preserve the original dark blue underneath, and he said there's no way to do that.  I thought that there was a process of soda blasting that could strip off a layer or two of top paint and leave the original underneath?

He suggested I should shine up the red paint and just drive it as is, which is good advice. But it really bothers me that I might not ever be able to get down to the original dark blue, which would be awesome in my opinion.  

He also said that trying to pound out the dents in the right rear fender would just make it worse, and that I should either leave it as is or find a replacement fender.

What do you guys think?

IMG_20190107_155309808~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18

31 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

I talked to an old friend who owns a body shop not too far from me and asked him if there is any way that I could strip off the red paint and preserve the original dark blue underneath, and he said there's no way to do that.  I thought that there was a process of soda blasting that could strip off a layer or two of top paint and leave the original underneath?

He suggested I should shine up the red paint and just drive it as is, which is good advice. But it really bothers me that I might not ever be able to get down to the original dark blue, which would be awesome in my opinion.  

He also said that trying to pound out the dents in the right rear fender would just make it worse, and that I should either leave it as is or find a replacement fender.

What do you guys think?

IMG_20190107_155309808~2.jpg

You might be able to pound it a little more back into shape but beyond that I'd leave the perfecting or replacing it for when you're going to repaint. I bet you can polish that red to a decent shine. We're really going to have to meet up this summer!

17 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

You might be able to pound it a little more back into shape but beyond that I'd leave the perfecting or replacing it for when you're going to repaint. I bet you can polish that red to a decent shine. We're really going to have to meet up this summer!

Yeah I'll probably just leave that fender the way it is, adds a little mystery to the story of the truck ?.   I know the name of the guy who originally bought it from the grain farm in North Dakota.  At some point I'm going to call him and see what information about the truck he might have to offer. He might know how that fender got dented up, which would be intriguing.  It reminds me of the mystery of the smashed in bumper on my Meadowbrook, which the original owner's daughter informed me her mother smashed into a stump in their yard in the late 50s because she didn't know how to drive.  

And yes we definitely have to meet up!  Been talking about it for too long.  

I asked Dad why the rear fenders were so tore up on the '48 while the rest of the truck was fairly straight... He said that kind of damage always seemed to occur in the mud in the winter and early spring, sliding around trying to get in and out of cattle pasture gateways and either bouncing off of or hanging a fence post...I have a similar fender dent that can be figured by the truck sliding in the mud, with the rear yawing so that the tail light hooked a cedar post that tilted forward, slamming into the upper radius of the fender...the custom rear bumper was added years later :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
  • Like 1

Hey fellas, I need some help with this. 

Carter B&B carb.  I need a kit.  Do the numbers at the top mean anything?  Do I need those to get the right kit?  And, can anyone recommend a place to get one? 

IMG_20190112_154401958~2.jpg

Just got this little gem in the mail today.  In my state the YOM plate must have at least one letter.  Not an easy find as most plates from that period are all numbers.  This was the only one on eBay.  Nice shape too.  I only need one plate. Can't wait to mount it. ?

IMG_20190112_171543060~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 10:21 AM, Worden18 said:

I scraped off the gunk and discovered a 4 and 3; 4.30 it is!  I never would have known that was there if you wouldn't have posted that. Thank you!

Glad you found it. Sometimes it seems like the factory had kids doing the number stampings - especially on the frame serial number and the third member ratio numbers. I believe the 4.30 ratio was the factory standard with the very rare 3.91 and the 4.89 as options. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Just got this little gem in the mail today.  In my state (MN) the old plate must have at least one letter.  Not an easy find as most plates from that period are all numbers.  This was the only one on eBay.  Nice shape too.  I only need one plate. Can't wait to mount it. ?

IMG_20190112_171543060~2.jpg

That's a good looking plate. My state allows year of manufacture plates to be displayed too, as long as the current plate is available w/in the vehicle. My 51 pickup came w/a 51 N Carolina plate, but, its beat up. I've been looking on eBay but can't find a decent looking one. I'm seriously thinking of just sanding and straightening and repainting the one I've already got. Are there any tricks to the trade for doing this? (Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread). ?

1 hour ago, Dodgeed said:

That's a good looking plate. My state allows year of manufacture plates to be displayed too, as long as the current plate is available w/in the vehicle. My 51 pickup came w/a 51 N Carolina plate, but, its beat up. I've been looking on eBay but can't find a decent looking one. I'm seriously thinking of just sanding and straightening and repainting the one I've already got. Are there any tricks to the trade for doing this? (Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread). ?

Registering my truck with this plate is the same price as doing it with a "Collector" plate.  Its a flat fee, and you only pay it once.  Never have to pay for tabs again.  So that's a nice option, too.

YouTube is a good start for plate resto information:

Edited by Worden18

In Washington state a collector YOM plate on a truck means you cannot haul loads with it.?

26 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

In Washington state a collector YOM plate on a truck means you cannot haul loads with it.?

You have to wonder who makes up stupid rules like that ?

Sometimes I haul loads anyway..?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Registering my truck with this plate is the same price as doing it with a "Collector" plate.  Its a flat fee, and you only pay it once.  Never have to pay for tabs again.  So that's a nice option, too.

YouTube is a good start for plate resto information:

Thanks for the video; I did not know about that $5 paint pen he recommended. I'll be sure to give that a try. ?