Me and the B-1-D

Worden18

I bought some literature featuring the 48's (eBay) a couple of weeks ago, just because I love this stuff.  This particular brochure is huge when unfolded all of the way.  I didn't measure it but its at least 18" square.  Anyway, my camera's flash washed out one of the pics.  There's no fading, the colors are bright and crisp.  Anyone else have this brochure?  I wonder if these were on hand at dealerships BITD?

IMG_20190109_194301787~2.jpg

IMG_20190109_194604680~2.jpg

I've noticed in this literature that the wiper blades turn off in the downward (flat) position, while the ones on my 1950 are vertical when they are off.  Did some googling last night and I found pics of other trucks....some up and others down.  I wonder if someone replaced my vacuum motor at some point and just put some gear on upside down (or backwards) or whatever?  I'm assuming down is the proper resting position?

I had that brochure scanned and tried to get it posted in the downloads section awhile back, but a comedy of errors exacerbated by photobucket zapping it from my account kinda told me that it wasn't meant to be...I may try again later, but that all depends on if PB will play ball...

As for windshield wiper parking, the B-1 and B-2 parked wipers outboard...I can tell you that swapping from vacuum to electric wipers requires not only changing the motor but the linkages and pivots as the geometries are different :cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmcdowel said:

I've noticed in this literature that the wiper blades turn off in the downward (flat) position, while the ones on my 1950 are vertical when they are off.  Did some googling last night and I found pics of other trucks....some up and others down.  I wonder if someone replaced my vacuum motor at some point and just put some gear on upside down (or backwards) or whatever?  I'm assuming down is the proper resting position?

I tried mine yesterday.  They work, and off is the up position.  Interesting topic.?

1 hour ago, Dodgeed said:

Great find, and real nice pictures, which we all appreciate. Your original truck might end up being the "go to" truck for us to identify what 'it' "should have" looked like. ?

For some things maybe.  I've been noticing a number of things that aren't right.  Like rear bumper, driver's mirror, ignition switch (2 of them), interior coverings, etc. 

On 1/10/2019 at 6:20 AM, Worden18 said:

I tried mine yesterday.  They work, and off is the up position.  Interesting topic.?

B1 and B2 park in the vertical position...outer sides of windshields

B 3 and 4 park down flat towards the center bar.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

Is there a "park" mode with the vacuum wipers, or do they just stop where ever you turn the switch off? I never used the vacuum wiper setup on my truck. During my build I acquired a parts truck that had electric wipers. I swapped the electric setup into my truck.

Yesterday when I shut the switch off mid wipe and it finished the cycle before it stopped. 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:07 PM, Dozerman51 said:

Wonder what 3rd member ratio you have. The ratio can be found on a flat rectangular pad located below the filler plug and reinforcement rib on the right side of the truck. Should be stamped either 3.91, 4.30 or 4.89. Most of the time you really have to wire brush the pad to get the stamped numbers to show. At least you will know what the ratio was out of the factory. Nice looking rig. Get it running and on the road. Good luck.

I scraped off the gunk and discovered a 4 and 3; 4.30 it is!  I never would have known that was there if you wouldn't have posted that. Thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

I scraped off the gunk and discovered a 4 and 3; 4.30 it is!  I never would have known that was there if you wouldn't have posted that. Thank you!

that is a fortunate find. I would have expected the 4.89

• Like 1

For the wiper parking positions, on the vacuum setup you can switch the parked positions by swapping the actuating arm's positions on the pivot arm on the vacuum motor.  I just did this on one of mine.   I think you might run into problems switching in an electric setup on a B1 or B2.  The transmissions are in different positions, and the actuating arms are different, but I could be wrong on this.

Jan 10:

- Got the choke cable working.  Just needed some lube.  Also got the emergency brake working.  Tension was good.  Just needed lube as well, including the release button on the handle.

-Pic: I'll assume the external latch on the glove box is not factory.  

IMG_20190110_143455921~2.jpg

This tag is where the visor would be on the passenger side.  Can someone explain this? 

Also, I am missing the driver's visor.  Not sure if it ever had a passenger visor.  I know it was an option.

IMG_20190110_143602794~2.jpg

The front seat lower cushion has a sliding lever under it. It opens and closes a 6" round 4 slot air valve to trap air or not in the seat cushion.

This is to make the seat more or less firm.

Dodge air seat.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 4

Whoopsie.... the above pic shows the upper cushion on the left!!!!

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Ha... nice use of a storm window latch. There should be a “U” shaped spring at the bottom of the door, inside, to hold it closed. Nobody repops them as far as I know. Go with what works...

https://dcmclassics.com/interior-parts/1153-i-134-glove-box-spring.html?search_query=Glove+box&results=5 

• Thanks 1

Jan. 11:

Used the '18 Ram EcoDiesel to haul my '48 to a friend's shop.  It has a hoist in one stall.  He gave me a key, which I didn't expect.  I will probably work on the truck there until summer, then bring it home.  It's 5 miles from my house.  These pics are of the place I departed from.  Amish Market in St. Charles, MN.  Another friend owns that place.  He let me keep truck and trailer inside all week.

EcoDiesel pulled with ease.  Getting up to speed it shifted at 3k rpm, and once at 55mph it stayed between 1500 and 1800 rpm.  Up slight hills it would downshift a gear up to 2k rpm.  Averaged about 18mpg towing. ?

IMG_20190111_101506689_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20190111_101525331_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20190111_101548875_HDR~3.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

Once I made it to the shop, I backed off the '48 under it's own power.  The emergency brake worked great!  I was able to drive it in reverse (of course) and 1st gear.  The sound of it reminded me of my old '55 flat fender Power Wagon.  That stirred up some emotions.  Only this time I won't be selling the truck.  Till death do us part! ?

The carb leaks badly, so that will be first priority.

IMG_20190111_101706115_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20190111_114609043_HDR~3.jpg

• Like 1