Dodge 1950 B2 Pilothouse

HFinch

My son has recently purchased the above model vehicle and is restoring it. Can you let us know if there is any asbestos in the truck? The brakes have recently been replaced so we're ok there. On the bulkhead there is what looks like a webbing but we aren't sure what this material is. Can anyone help?

Also any information as to what it would have looked like originally would be grateful as he wants to restore it to the original spec although it is complete, running and appears mostly original?

He is doing this as part of his project for his apprenticeship in restoration and body panel/paint whilst working at BMW here in the UK. He wanted a challenge and appreciates the originality these vehicles offer. There isn't much here in the UK to help with parts/information so anything would be brilliant.  Many thanks in anticipation

Welcome!

Post some pictures of the truck!

A must have for a B series owner:

https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Trucks-Restorers-Collectors-Reference/dp/1583880879

The welting on the bulk head doesn't have any asbestos in it.

Parts suppliers:

https://www.vicsdodgegarage.com/

https://dcmclassics.com/

Pics of my old '49 B1B:

003 - Copy (2).JPG

006 - Copy (4).JPG

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your help and interest. Will get my son to post some pictures of it now and then as he restores it. Do any of you know how easy it is and expensive to get small parts shipped to the UK?

Thanks

Thank you for the offer. We are still putting a list together of small bits needed as not long had the vehicle. Will let you know if it isn't too much trouble for her.

They will only be small bits like gaskets/small springs etc and bulbs.

I ran a couple harley davidson breakers on the firewall when I first switched to 12v. They are nice because if you get a short they just click off for a minute- once you fix it they go back to working like normal and no walking to five gas stations to find blade or tube fuses.

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't it hang on the side of the truck with this model? Some we have seen appear to have the tyre on the side.

Also does anyone know where we can find out the original green colour as my son wants to paint it in the identical colour.

Thanks

13 hours ago, HFinch said:

Doesn't it hang on the side of the truck with this model? Some we have seen appear to have the tyre on the side.

Also does anyone know where we can find out the original green colour as my son wants to paint it in the identical colour.

Thanks

nope factory stock was underslung the rear of the bed.  If you go to DCM you can see what they should look like.  There were aftermarket bed side mounts as well if that tickles your fancy more.