tucked in running boards??

John Lavanish

These panels were on this car when I bought it but they are rusted out.  Check out the photo.  These do away with the conventional running board and replace it with just a rocker panel.  Somewhere the original owner found these, but I can't. I've done searches but I can't find these on any other 40 plymouths.   Anyone know where to find these or what they are called?  

Thanks for any help

John

IMG_0687.JPG

In 1940 running boards were a delete option for Plymouth although most cars seemed to have running boards, this option also carried over into 1941 and again seems to have been an uncommon choice, most 1940 and 1941 Plymouths seem to have their running boards.......I'm not sure but these panels used instead of running boards may have been called "Body side shields", they, at least for 1940 also seem to have had a chrome molding on them and the leading edge of the rear fender should have had a rubber gravel pad to protect the fender from stone chips..............personally I prefer the running boards as I have them on my oz 1940 Dodge Sedan and were on the 1941 Plymouth Coupe I had............andyd.   

Yes, the panels were called "Body Side Shields" - in section 12 of the 1940 parts catalogue.  The shield was available in prime although Chrysler also had a chrome version.   There was a moulding down the lower part of the shield.

Plymouth and all Dodges used the same shields with DeSoto and Chrysler sharing another - the body on the DeSoto and Chrysler was 3" longer on the Plymouth and Dodge.   And all body styles used the same shield, with the 7-pass models having a longer version.

For 1941 Dodge shared the DeSoto/Chrysler body with the Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler using a 3" longer shield than Plymouth.

My father owned a 1940 Plymouth 4oor sedan with the body side shields instead of the running boards.  

That's a lot of info B-Watson! ?  Thank you. Much like your Dad, I prefer the Body side shields over the running boards.   Now for the BIG question.  Are they still available anywhere?  I haven't been able to find them on line anywhere.  

Thanks for any info

John

2 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

B-Watson you are correct about chrome ones for Chrysler but looking at mine is looks just like a bulged trim. Or maybe mine is not the Body Side Shields ?

Yes, those are Body Side Shields.   Being chrome, they don't need the narrow moulding along the bottom of the non-chromed units. But basically that's all they are - bulged trim to cover the spot where running boards used to be.

25 minutes ago, B-Watson said:

Yes, those are Body Side Shields.   Being chrome, they don't need the narrow moulding along the bottom of the non-chromed units. But basically that's all they are - bulged trim to cover the spot where running boards used to be.

Thank you very much.

John Lavianish sorry for stealing the thread, was curious about these. I think you have get yours fabricated. 

Edited by chrysler1941