FLATHEAD ENGINE questions for 1948 Plymouth special deluxe

vinny1416

I have a 48 Plymouth special deluxe and havent been able to get this motor to start. It cranks and I put gas in the carb trying to get it to start. Though when I was working on it my stud that the positive cable bolts to got really hot. Wire isnt hot but just the bolt. I get the motor to crank and sounds like it wants to start because it does pop but cant get it to run.

20190105_172022.jpg

34 minutes ago, vinny1416 said:

I have a 48 Plymouth special deluxe and havent been able to get this motor to start. It cranks and I put gas in the carb trying to get it to start. Though when I was working on it my stud that the positive cable bolts to got really hot. Wire isnt hot but just the bolt. I get the motor to crank and sounds like it wants to start because it does pop but cant get it to run.

20190105_172022.jpg

DOOD! REPLACE ALL THAT NEKKID WIRING OR BUY A REALLY GOOD FIRE EXTINGUISHER!

That alone may lead to your car starting if your voltage regulator isn't fried. While rewiring it,remove the cover from the voltage regulator and use a emery board to clean the points

Chances are those bare wires have gotten so hot they are crystallized,and will not pass any current. It is the equivalent of having a hot short.

29 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

DOOD! REPLACE ALL THAT NEKKID WIRING OR BUY A REALLY GOOD FIRE EXTINGUISHER!

That alone may lead to your car starting if your voltage regulator isn't fried. While rewiring it,remove the cover from the voltage regulator and use a emery board to clean the points

Chances are those bare wires have gotten so hot they are crystallized,and will not pass any current. It is the equivalent of having a hot short.

I have a really good fire extinguisher. Though the wire on the inside of the loom is clean and looks new. It was all checked but ima wrap and shrink all the ends that werent done. The thing is this car has been driven on this wiring for so many years. The oringal motor recently gave out because of an internal engine problem with the valve. Then my brother placed in the new motor than I took owner ship of the car and have been trying to get to start. It cranks very well and none of the wires are touching. I just want to know if everyone notices any wires that are mixed

49 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

what is your compression...how old is your tune up......do you have a strong or weak spark, high current drain via the starter will starve an ignition....have you by chance splash fouled the spark plugs.....did you static time the beast before trying to start 

Hey thanks with the response. What is static time? And what else is splash fouled the spark plugs. I dont know the compression. The tune up isnt old

Just done a about a year ago. And I'm messing either the points because spark wasn't good. I just am curious of anyone has a wiring setup on a engine similar to mine