Just saw total disregard for other's property

hkestes41

We are setting in a restaurant eating dinner and just outside the window at the curb was a very nice 65 GTO convert. Blue with a white interior. A woman and her daughter walk up the sidewalk and stop at the passenger door. The mom opens the door and the daughter climbs in. Mom closes the door and o think she is going to go around get in and drive off.

Nope. Pulls out her phone takes a picture of her daughter in the car then opens the door, let's her out and walks away.

About 15 minutes later a guy walks up from the other direction gets in and drives off. 

Can't believe the nerve of some people. 

• Sad 1

that ballsy for sure...but could have been prearranged or relative of the man also......hard to make that call.....but I have seen similar take place at car shows.....I am so disgusted with these shows and the way they are managed....I have not been to a car show since about 2003....only time I see anything like a show is at a cruise in or if the swap event has a sister event showing cars...

41 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

that ballsy for sure...but could have been prearranged or relative of the man also......hard to make that call.....but I have seen similar take place at car shows.....I am so disgusted with these shows and the way they are managed....I have not been to a car show since about 2003....only time I see anything like a show is at a cruise in or if the swap event has a sister event showing cars...

Question, how does a show manager keep jerks like those from doing such a thing?  Other than make them leave if that type of behavior is observed, I would think it is more the responsibility of the owner to lock their car when they are not in sight of it to take action on their own. 

Easy. I keep my Windows up and Doors locked at car Shows. Yes people today tend to have no respect for other people's Cars.

Usually they probably think because they paid to get in a car show they have bought the rights to what ever they damned well please to do.

Edited by Tom Skinner

I daily drive a Japanese Kei truck ( 1992 Suzuki Carry ). And yeah it stands out. One time, I came back out of the gas station after pre paying to find some guy opened the door to my truck and was checking it out. Naturally he caught that I was just a bit miffed when I confronted him.

2 hours ago, hkestes41 said:

We are setting in a restaurant eating dinner and just outside the window at the curb was a very nice 65 GTO convert. Blue with a white interior. A woman and her daughter walk up the sidewalk and stop at the passenger door. The mom opens the door and the daughter climbs in. Mom closes the door and o think she is going to go around get in and drive off.

Nope. Pulls out her phone takes a picture of her daughter in the car then opens the door, let's her out and walks away.

About 15 minutes later a guy walks up from the other direction gets in and drives off. 

Can't believe the nerve of some people. 

I drove my 39 Ford tudor to Wal-Mart one day and parked it and went inside. Traditional 60's car with black paint,pinstripes,SBC engine,and slot mags.

When I came back out there was a kid maybe 6 years old standing on my seat jerking on the steering wheel and making "vroom" noises,my hood was open, my trunk was open and the kids father was looking around inside the trunk. They both got told things they probably didn't want to hear,and both got looks on their faces like *I* was the one in the wrong.

I was "THIS" close to beating knots on the father's head when it occurred to me this retard really didn't understand he had done anything wrong,so I asked the retard,"How would YOU like it if you came out of the store and found ME with YOUR car doors,trunk,and hood open,and me sifting through the things in YOUR car trunk?" The stupid SOB started to spit and sputter about how that would be different because his car was a "regular car",but I think the look in my eye may have caused him to give serious consideration to shutting up and getting the hell out of there.

I think the thing that upset me the most was the message this retard was sending his son that other people had no private property rights,and that anything he did was acceptable because it was him doing it.

What the hell is wrong with parents these days? One of the first lessons I remember learning as a kid was "If it is not your,you do NOT touch it without permission,PERIOD!",with the message "Or I will go upside your head" being left unsaid because it wasn't necessary to say it.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

When I bought my '53 Chrysler in 2017  i was new to the car show scene. I started attending shows. At one of my first car shows I saw a woman in shorts and a top, sprawl herself out on the hood of a restored vintage  68 Corvette. For a photo opp. Her significant other took a couple photos, while she tried to pose like a model. I was shocked. Being new to all this, I looked on in horror and said nothing. I should have spoke up now that I think back. The car owner was not in site and missed the charades. Unbelievable but indeed true.

Edited by keithb7

Easy. I keep my Windows up and Doors locked at car Shows. Yes people today tend to have no respect for other people's Cars.

Usually they probably think because they paid to get in a car show they have bought the rights to what ever they damned well please to do.

1 hour ago, White Spyder said:

Question, how does a show manager keep jerks like those from doing such a thing?  Other than make them leave if that type of behavior is observed, I would think it is more the responsibility of the owner to lock their car when they are not in sight of it to take action on their own. 

oh no that was not what I meant in regard to management, though they could help with this but at the risk of people not returning and thus lose food sales from the venders which they make a great deal of money by percentage...many shows once parked in place even if you suffer damage you are not allowed to move your car from the premises till shows end....they cannot totally control spectators, it is even harder for you to try to control them, they do not even post basic  rules on entrance to the spectators....and it is obvious that most parents of young kids do not control themselves much less their kids....it is the total big picture of all this and as most know there are many other factors that one can draw parallel to..

I fully agree with the above posts. What I like to see is a vehicle and lots of drawing pens and pencils and permission to use the vehicle to write on, draw on,etc. fun to see the creativity of children. 

A friend has a cabin in a remote area. Was there late one evening enjoying the camp fire when a car drove up. With gun in hand the driver was asked, so???? Discovered this young family discovered the cabin and this was their fifth year to vacation there. 

The man said, "we made certain, we always left it exactly as we found it each year".  Interesting. 

• Confused 2

I live across the street from the city campground. I have had campers walk across the street, go into my garden and grab a tomato, pepper, etc... When confronted they have an excuse such as " I didn't think you would miss one or two", or "I didn't see anybody out here for a few days and figured you weren't using this garden. I have explained it is PRIVATE property and offered to go back to their campsite and take something that I didn't think they were using. They didn't seem to understand my analogy.

I think parking a unique or classic car in a parking lot is just asking for somebody to look and touch. Take my old car out to eat, visit a small/private business and park in their lots, sure, not usually much risk. Go shopping at Wal-Mart and park my old car in their lot, no way!

• Like 1

This is the reason I have not tried to restore my 1947 Desoto.  I can park it here in SF and if it picks up a door ding, I don't worry about it.  My restored 1949 Convertible...I only take it to shows and never park it here in SF on the street.

I go to a number of shows.  The large expensive fancy shows I take the '49.  The local free shows to the public, I take the '47.

On occasion I have told people in a loud voice that: "...you know we used to take a baseball bat to people who touched out rides when we were young..."  They generally get the message.

James.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pflaming said:

I fully agree with the above posts. What I like to see is a vehicle and lots of drawing pens and pencils and permission to use the vehicle to write on, draw on,etc. fun to see the creativity of children. 

in some cases this could give way to some improvements in cosmetics...

• Thanks 1

under the safety of the many....liability reason for organizing an event and then allowing them to be exposed to moving vehicles within the spectators area......this is often in the fine print on registration or only made public to you if you try to violate....While it may not be something they can truly make you adhere to, holding you against your will....I assure you that any participation in the future will find you blocked..

1 hour ago, Tom Skinner said:

Go sell your **** ass excuses to some one else

????? To whom is that addressed?

8 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

....While it may not be something they can truly make you adhere to, holding you against your will....I assure you that any participation in the future will find you blocked..

I think that it would be fine to block me---Not much danger of me coming back anyhow.  I also feel some of these people that run these shows were hall monitors earlier in their lives and currently are officers in their home owners association.

Edited by lonejacklarry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was at a show once were two boys around seven years old we’re riding their BMX bikes in and out of the park cars and people. I finally had enough and told the boys they should be parking there bikes outside of the show and be walking. One of the people walking by yelled at me because I scolded the kids. That did not go very well with me and I gave that mother a piece of my mind.  Several cheers from other car owners followed.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

under the safety of the many....liability reason for organizing an event and then allowing them to be exposed to moving vehicles within the spectators area......this is often in the fine print on registration or only made public to you if you try to violate....While it may not be something they can truly make you adhere to, holding you against your will....I assure you that any participation in the future will find you blocked..

Yup one show we went to changed to that style. Haven't been back since. Don't expect someone with small children to have to stay at a car show until 9pm. 

My first MoPaRs in the park I came back to FEF with this kids standing on my running board rubbing/twisting his feet around on it while mom snapped pictures....I about backhanded the lady.  Lady just looks at like me like I was crazy to be upset about her little boy standing on my truck. 

Second item was someone switched around my dizzy wires at a show...WTH would you do that?