Plasti Dip

pflaming

HUGE mistake. I sprayed Plasti Dip one side window island of ny Suburban. Removal is a very difficult task .WD 40 softens it but it takes a sharp plastic scraper to peal it off. 

IMG_1774.JPG

I don't mind admitting to my mistakes, but if that's the case, I'm not too sure I'd advertise it unless it's intended as a learning tool for the rest of us on what not to do .

Tip of the Day:  Plasti -Dip does not work well as a window tint material.

9 minutes ago, Dave72dt said:

I don't mind admitting to my mistakes, but if that's the case, I'm not too sure I'd advertise it unless it's intended as a learning tool for the rest of us on what not to do .

Tip of the Day:  Plasti -Dip does not work well as a window tint material.

Why not??  ?

DJ

My definition of tinted window would still imply some transparency.  Plasti Dip could be used as a blackout material and I think they make it in red also so maybe as a redout material.  Sometimes cutting a corner, repurposing materials turns out to be more work and more expense than  using the product actually designed for the project.  This sounds like a case in point if that's what happened.  Sorry Paul, if your good intentions and innovative thinking didn't work out.

22 hours ago, pflaming said:

HUGE mistake. I sprayed Plasti Dip one side window island of ny Suburban

Please note above, "window island" no plasti Dip on the glass. Was an experiment with plasti Dip shared so others know, this product is removable, bit it does not peal off. 

I once could ask questions and get answers not editorials. 

Edited by pflaming

I guess I didn't understand what you meant by "island'".  I interpreted it as glass itself because the rear section of glass seems to be somewhat smeared.  Do you mean the area around the glass that's now black?  If so, DupliColor makes a peel off paint that you can  experiment with.   I believe it becomes permanent after a certain number of days.

My apologies if I've offended you in this series of posts.

Dave, no problem. No on the glass, yes on the body area. I found that WD 40 softens Plasti Dip, but only so deep. I applied that with a sponge brush, good control, then could remove good amounts with a good plastic, straight edge or putty knife, or. . . Then I applied the WD 40 to some course Brillo pad material to clean further. Worked very nicely. I'm not sure I would use the Brillo pad on good paint, but just fine on aged 60 year old paint.

I like those widow frames black, a bit modern, but I'm debating whether to do it. A nice clean vintage look has its own appeal.  So much detail as I close in on even basic driver stage. 

Edited by pflaming

Paul, I can appreciate conjuring up alternate uses for Plasti Dip.  I have been mentally toying with a method of reskinning the rubber bumper guards on my '66 Satellite.  I was thinking the spray wrap process, but they advertise that as removable.  How did the Plasi Dip spray on?  Would it hide checks and crazing in rubber?

Sounds like you are looking for a matte/low gloss black finish on your frames similar to what was used on some '41 and most if not all '42 Plymouth vent window frames.  I picked up a black factory painted vent frame for my P12 to replace a badly rusted chrome frame - I am considering mixing Krylon matte and semi gloss black spray paint to get the right sheen, and airbrushing it on the chrome one (after prepping the surface) to match.  If your frames are out of the car, powder coating is possible - more durable (and more $).

I used the Plasti Dip as a visual test of a black widow wrap such as is currently popular on modern SUV's, no other reason. Paint I guess is much thinner, so defects are visible. This product seems to cover up better. I'm not going to remove the glass and restore those inner frames. Leave that for the next guy. 

Will be in MA in April, maybe we can hook up.

paul

2 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Will be in MA in April, maybe we can hook up.

That would be great!  Let me know when you will be in the area (and where).  Other than a yet to be scheduled spring trip to DC to visit our daughter in college, I'll be around.

Maybe some will want to try this as a temporary or longer if liked way to test colors in a spray can that is made to be removable.??

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/custom-wrap-automotive-removable-paint

Many colors in matte not so much for gloss- semi, but anyone can spray their clear over any matte color- so?

DJ

Final shot: WD 40 softens Plasti Dip. If the PD was thickly applied, then it has to have time to penetrate the layers. I applied with a sponge brush. Removal best with a sharp plastic edge. Brillo pad will cut through the surface then the plastic edge will scrape it off. 

Edited by pflaming

From my experience the only way plastic dip peels off is if it is applied thick enough and that the surface it is applied to is clean and smooth. Anything but and its too thin and rips easily and/or it gets in the little nooks and crannies and holds on tight.

• Thanks 1