King Pin replacement issues

maxmac

Trying to remove the spindles on my '49 B-1-D to send to Rusty Hope to prep for disc conversion and noticing that there are bead welds at top and bottom holding them in.... No caps. 

Anyone else seen this!!??  Should I just grind them off and punch the pins out??

MVIMG_20190104_170933.jpg

I drilled and tapped mine in place for the rusty hope kit. My kingpins were siezed real bad and my little hydraulic press couldn’t get the pins out! I ended up taking the whole axle to the machine shop- the new pin bushings have to be align reamed anyway dead nuts straight. 

If you’re set on removing the knuckles to get the RH guy to drill them for the brackets then I’d say yes file those tacks off. Make sure you remove the bolt that goes in from the side- it locks the kingpin in there. You probably already know that but can’t hurt to say.

Looks like they tacked the king pin grease seal plugs in  place.

Be careful grinding the spot welds out of the steering knuckles so as to not damage the recess for the new plugs to fit into tight.

The new plugs will have to be swaged tightly in place .

They welded the old plugs in because they probably kept blowing out when greasing the king pins.

Not many people seem get those plugs to seal and stay in place.

Thanks for the feedback. Have to pull the spindles for the conversion as RH needs to lathe the spindles down so the bearings fit. Parts on the 1 ton are larger than on the 1/2 & 3/4 ton so his kit doesn't just bolt on....  

I'll grind and chip away..... 

1 ton king pins and bushings are the same size as 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks up into 1950.

13 hours ago, maxmac said:

Yes, but the spindles are not.....

If you wouldn't mind, let me know how the conversion turns out. I have been thinking about doing it, but am concerned with the spindle reduction. Also, I really don't mind drum brakes, it adds spice to life. But if the final product is good I may convert. JD

1 hour ago, NiftyFifty said:

Just get a 1/2 ton axle or spindles, that’s what I did on my 1 ton, was cheaper then the machining costs, and a direct bolt in.

You can't change out the spindle from 1 ton to 1/2 ton, but you can change the axle. Then you get into a mismatch problem with the rear end bolt pattern etc. In my case, I don't want to give up the original axle.

The axle itself up through 1950 is the same as the 1/2 and 3/4 tonners as are the 11" backing plates.

9 hours ago, BlueberryDodge said:

If you wouldn't mind, let me know how the conversion turns out. I have been thinking about doing it, but am concerned with the spindle reduction. Also, I really don't mind drum brakes, it adds spice to life. But if the final product is good I may convert. JD

Will do.

And all comments thereafter are spot on.  Searched for a set of 1/2 or 3/4 ton spindles and couldn't find any.  Also searched for an axle...  I'd stick with the drums, but the passenger side is totally shot and was having trouble finding all of the parts that I needed (aside from the wheel cylinders).  Want it to be safe and with the work I have into it now, the cost of the disc conversion is money well spent.  I just need to get the front brakes set up, put the new gas tank in and a couple minor things to take of with the rear end and the truck will be ready for the road again.  Got the motor running again a couple of weeks ago (first time since 2005).  Once all of this is finished I'm selling it.  Was helping out a friend who needed it gone.  I have a '65 Town Wagon that is my primary project....  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlueberryDodge said:

You can't change out the spindle from 1 ton to 1/2 ton, but you can change the axle. Then you get into a mismatch problem with the rear end bolt pattern etc. In my case, I don't want to give up the original axle.

The Rusty Hope kit forces you into 4 1/4 bolt pattern in the front, no option to keep the original 1 ton bolt pattern as far as I know, and the 4 1/4 is stock dodge 1/2 ton spec for those years.

1 hour ago, NiftyFifty said:

The Rusty Hope kit forces you into 4 1/4 bolt pattern in the front, no option to keep the original 1 ton bolt pattern as far as I know, and the 4 1/4 is stock dodge 1/2 ton spec for those years.

4 1/2" I think.    4 1/4" was the 60s A body wheel pattern.