Transmission housing HOLE ?

Conn47D24

1947 Dodge D24

In the process of mounting the transmission to the bell housing, I have stumped by this  " HOLE " in the 3 speed housing.

I noticed it a few years ago and at the time I thought the gasket would cover this hole. 

Now I find the gasket has a hole in the same spot !  Three sets of NOS gaskets I have are all the same .

There are no matching holes in the housing here.

What is this hole for ?

Should I plug it ?

If I don't what keeps it for pouring trans oil out and around the clutch area ???

Note: Inside this HOLE is a port that must drain fluid back to the case from the drive shaft bearing.

transmission housing hole.jpg

Edited by Conn47D24
Model ID

1 hour ago, Conn47D24 said:

What is this hole for ?

Should I plug it ?

I would like the answer to this question also.!!

Even after taking apart two of these trans I could not see any reason for it to be open, others have said on the forum that they came to the same Q. and plugged it with a newer style freeze plug that has the side lips on them in a appropriate size as measured.

You can also add sealer the the two shaft ends that you see that are the cluster and counter shafts that originally counted on the very tight fit to seal but over the years and repairs may not be sealing good anymore. Your  picture has a Q. mark over one that does have a plug over the end as stock but may leak. The other shaft showing straight down below the input /trans shaft has no plug and may leak.

Again some have added after a perfect? cleaning of silicone/epoxy sealers.

Just a Q. and what others have done.

DJ

It holds the shaft the gears slide on to facilitate gear changes. And yes they will eat if not gasketed.  Will the gasket fit if flipped over so it will block the hole.  I think here is an article and a downloaded gasket template in the reference and download section of this web site.

• Thanks 1