Crap Ignition Products

James_Douglas

NAPA Crappa

Hi all,

I called and talked with two of the leading Aircraft Magneto houses.  Many of their magnetos use NOS point sets that are no longer available for the pre WWII aircraft.  I talked with them about what had happened and the upshot of those conversations is that they have only seen one instance in the last 25 years of the blocks disintegrating like mine did.

Their take is that it is a rare thing and I happen to be the unlucky one.  As to the comment about a black cloud following me around, hardly, I am the luckiest guy in the world in many ways.

What pissed me off was that the failure killed a NOS cam lobe.  How many of those have you seen on ebay in the last 10 years?

So, I guess I can be reasonably certain that I can go back to my stash of NOS points...But, I would check about 2 weeks after installing a new set to make sure it is not premature wearing just in case.  If it looks good at 2 weeks it should be good for a long time I hope.

But the question still remains, once the NOS or NORS stock dries up, what then?

7 minutes ago, James_Douglas said:

But the question still remains, once the NOS or NORS stock dries up, what then?

at that time you have to make the call to trust what is available and do more frequent tune ups to prevent a possible ignition failure while on the road....yeah, a bit more cost,  more time involved but at least to some extent they still supporting the older cars in parts...lesser quality, but support none the less.  We could be stuck with no avenue to repair at all.  there is still the options of electronic ignition, very limited if you staying 6 volt but again, an option.   Spares in the trunk, tools to make the repair will be a given with the lesser quality parts.  The less than best is better than none at all I suppose.  

As to your question about the various electrical components drying up. Yes this will happen as time marches on. So I would suggest that you keep your eye out and look for those parts to have on hand.  These components were widely used so I would think they should be around for some more time. But be prepared just in case.  I have a 39 desoto and I have seen over the past 30 years of going to Hershey ever fall that the early 30's mopar specific parts such as trim, lens, dash knobs, etc are not showing up even at this big event with 8-10 venders.  So you have to be on the constant search for the parts and when you do find them then buy them today because tomorrow they will be gone.

This is why I have collect the various cross reference catalogs to cover the electrical and other components for our cars. So if the autolite points cannot be found I might find Echlin or blue stream or P&D, Filko so you must be prepared for the future.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

1 hour ago, desoto1939 said:

As to your question about the various electrical components drying up. Yes this will happen as time marches on. So I would suggest that you keep your eye out and look for those parts to have on hand.  These components were widely used so I would think they should be around for some more time. But be prepared just in case.  I have a 39 desoto and I have seen over the past 30 years of going to Hershey ever fall that the early 30's mopar specific parts such as trim, lens, dash knobs, etc are not showing up even at this big event with 8-10 venders.  So you have to be on the constant search for the parts and when you do find them then buy them today because tomorrow they will be gone.

This is why I have collect the various cross reference catalogs to cover the electrical and other components for our cars. So if the autolite points cannot be found I might find Echlin or blue stream or P&D, Filko so you must be prepared for the future.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

I like the cut of your jib mister.....Rich, if I may ask... were you an Eagle Scout perchance ?

Edited by Frank Elder
  • Like 1

Frank Elder. No was never an Eagle Scout. Have learn over the years of collecting parts that yes there will be a time when things will no longer be available.  You can see that now just in general life.  Over the years things that we had as kids are no longer being used, such as typewriter have been replaced by Laptops and also our cell phones.  I can remember when going to Hershey you would walk into the Green field and see approx. 30 pay phones setup for people to call home or their friends if they found a part that someone was looking.  They slowing got less and less as the year went by and now there are no payphones since everyone has a cell phone and can send pictures and communicate while at a vendors site. Yes this has made it more fun but things have really changed over the year some for the good and some not so good.

Just alittle bit of reality that eventually hits everyone.

rich Hartung

• Like 1