1949 Dodge truck rear brakes replacements

bridog57

????????️

I've never heard the term 1/2 size

Sooo...

Didn't understand the question ?

I am on a limb here, I am betting he is referring to the rear stepped cylinders where one half is one size and the other side yet another size....the fronts are not half size either..but just a different design.....this style cylinders continued on some car into the last of 70's...maybe beyond...

Yep..

Good ole blind hole lockheed brake cylinders:blink:

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I am on a limb here, I am betting he is referring to the rear stepped cylinders where one half is one size and the other side yet another size....the fronts are not half size either..but just a different design.....this style cylinders continued on some car into the last of 70's...maybe beyond...

On the trucks the fronts have the dual piston, stepped bore, cylinders. The rears use the single cylinders top and bottom. Basically reverse of what’s on the cars of that era. I can only assume they wanted the higher stopping power at the rear for hauling heavier loads. 

• Like 1

got you....thought I heard that limb cracking.......thanks for the clarification.....I have little experience with the rear brakes on a 40/50 Dodge truck...actually I think the last time I did brakes on one of these would have been about 1970 and it was the station truck outfitted as a wrecker...that be a few years ago.....

• 2 weeks later...