56 Wagon questions

Shaneyk88

Thank you for all the help so far on my wagon. I have replaced bad freeze plugs, found appropriate carb and fuel pump. Fired it up for the first time in 30 +/- years and it sounds pretty good. Things I need that I can seem to locate.

fuel straps for wagons

fuel tank sending unit (is it different for the wagon?)

vacuum advance line for this odd 2 barrel set up. (should I just make one?)

headlight bezels

Plymouth letters for hood lip.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

You might need to make up the straps.  They may be pretty rare. I know the 54 wagon tanks were very different from the sedans etc. And the straps were unique to the wagon.  Have you tried to go back a year or two earlier wagons? 

You only need to plumb one carburetor for vacuum advance.  I just used a couple pieces of five inch long steel tubing with the proper fittings for the carb and the vacuum pot then bought a length of plastic tubing to connect the source and the dist.

Shaneyk............I have an 1950-1965 Chrysler Products Interchange Manual by a company called Auto Interchange Systems in Minnesota, it was published in 1979, a mate here in Oz obtained it somehow in the mid 1980's and I had a loan of it and photocopied all 176 pages..............lol................took a while to copy but has been an invaluable resource......anyway here goes............for 1956 this lists the 2 dr Sedan and the 2dr Station Wagon for both 1956 Plymouth and 1956 Dodge as being the same........4dr sedans and wagons and anything with a hardtop or convertible style body is NOT the same...........it also shows the same interchange for the 1955 Plymouth and Dodge 2 dr sedan and wagons with the same no go for all the other 1955 Plymouth and Dodge body styles as that mentioned for 1956...........I mention the 1955 as I would think that the actual doors may fit between 1955 and 1956 however I would think that various changes in body chrome and molding may mean that these things would be in a different place............another thing to possibily investigate is that whilst 2 door hardtop and convertible doors are indeed different to those used on a two door sedan or wagon the 2 dr hardtop & convertible door might be worth measuring as it may indeed be the same length, just different from the beltline up as it doesn't have an upper window channel and maybe worth finding even if just for donor corners etc............lol............then again I might be full of crap...........lol............but anyway hope this helps.............regards from Oz and welcome aboard.........Andy Douglas   

If you have to replace the fuel tank sending unit, contact these guys: http://mykmlifestyle.com

They're based in Massachusetts. These guys know what they're doing. They can probably custom make a sending unit for your car and it will be made from quality US components. I originally ordered a sending unit for my '51 Dodge truck from one of the better known sources and it was defective right out of the box. The ohm readings were completely erratic. I took the unit apart to see why it was so erratic. All I can say is that the way it was designed and constructed it didn't have a chance of lasting long term. It was typical poor Chinese quality.  KM Lifestyle made me a quality unit. The difference was like night and day and it wasn't expensive.  The resistance measurements are as smooth as silk. All they needed was the vehicle, the depth of the tank, and the way it locks into the opening of the tank. I'd give them a call.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

For the 1955 and 1956 Plymouth and Dodge doors, they do not interchange due to the difference in door handles.   The 1955 models had push button handles while the 1956 had pull-to style.   The rear doors on the 1955 Plymouth and Dodge wagons will interchange as well as the 1955 Plymouth rear doors on the sedan.   The rear Dodge sedan doors are longer as the Dodge's extra 5" in the wheelbase was done in the rear sear area on the sedans.   

Usually 2 door convertible and hardtop doors will interchange, but they won't interchange with the 2 door sedan or wagon doors due to the lack of an upper door frame on the convertible and hardtop doors.

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2019 at 2:15 AM, B-Watson said:

Usually 2 door convertible and hardtop doors will interchange, but they won't interchange with the 2 door sedan or wagon doors due to the lack of an upper door frame on the convertible and hardtop doors.

The hard top door will not interchange with the convertible.  The convertible is approximately 4" lower than the hard top. 

Paul.....apart from the obvious difference between a 2dr hardtop door and a convertible door, ie, the upper window track or frame on the 2 dr hardtop is the actual door shell essentially the same, ie, the length and door height......are they the same for the convertible and 2 dr hardtop......can a 2dr hardtop door be bolted where a convertible door would live?.or vice versa?.......lol...............andyd  

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

The hard top door will not interchange with the convertible.  The convertible is approximately 4" lower than the hard top. 

I thought we figured out it was the vent window that was different not the actual door

PA, I do not understand the above post. I bought a door for ny '53 convertible from Rapid City SS. They said  the door from a hardtop was compatible. Well, it was NOT, they would not offer any means of compensation on a $700 purchase. So much for them. 

they just part numbers....I recall that issue with the door...I also recall chats and such to the point you were advised that the convertible door was totally different due to the flat top vent assembly.   As to the conversation between you and Rapid City...I have no input...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to upset anyone and as neither a hardtop nor convertible was ever sold here in Oz I can't check myself but I would have thought that the actual door shell would have been the same between the two body styles .................this question was in relation to 1956 model cars.......anyway apologies .................Andy Douglas   

23 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to upset anyone and as neither a hardtop nor convertible was ever sold here in Oz I can't check myself but I would have thought that the actual door shell would have been the same between the two body styles .................this question was in relation to 1956 model cars.......anyway apologies .................Andy Douglas   

For the 1956 Plymouth and Dodge front doors, and this includes the US 120" wheelbase Dodge models -

2 door sedan and wagon =  R - 1657 006  /  L - 1657 007

2 door hardtop and convertible = R - 1657 002 / L - 1657 003

4 door sedan and wagon = R - 1656 458  / L - 1656 459

4 door hardtop = R - 1681 074 / L - 1681 075

For starters, the sedan / wagon doors have an upper frame surrounding the glass that also includes the vent framework.  

Hardtops and convertibles do not have an upper frame and have different door vents than the closed models.    The vent and the door glass are the same for both hardtop and convertible.

The front fenders are the same for all models (Plymouth for all Plymouths and Dodge for all Dodges).    The "A" pillar is the same for all, except convertible, and the door locks are the same for all models, except the hardtop sedan.

So, yes, you could install a convertible/hardtop door for a sedan/wagon door, but things above the belt line might be a little drafty.   But installing a 2 door sedan door in a 2 door wagon should pose no more troubles than installing a wagon door in a wagon.                               

As for people who have followed the above and have doors that do not fit, you may have been given doors from another year or even another make.   Never assume anything.  Forty-some years ago a friend was looking for a 4-barrel carb and manifold for his 1962 Dart with a 313 V8.  A local yard had such a unit and he picked it up that afternoon.   That evening off came the 2-bbl carb and manifold, but that was as far as he got.   Next day he called another yard and gave them the numbers on the 4-bbl carb and manifold.   Turned out he had purchased equipment for a 1955 Buick.  

Edited by B-Watson
Duplicate entry