47 Plymouth Radiator Support Removal & Installation

kbuhagiar

Hello Folks,

I need to remove the radiator support from my 47 Plymouth SD Club Coupe, and I am concerned about maintaining the front sheetmetal alignment.

Is there a way to remove the support without disturbing the hood/fender adjustments? If not, any suggestions to help minimize re-alignment hassles upon assembly?

Thanks in advance.

So let me clarify my original inquiry...

If I remove (or just loosen the bolts on) the radiator support, will the fenders droop? I only plan in having the support out long enough to fabricate a new radiator mounting system, or maybe, if possible, flop the radiator support support so that the mounting holes are facing the front of the car.

Thanks again!

I know that its a different hood and opening arrangement but I've taken the hood off my 40 Dodge , then undone the radiator support frame and/ or just the radiator and removed and/or  both and while the fenders may have dropped a fraction so long as you don't undo the fender to cowl bolts you shouldn't have any real issue.............you may even be able to just leave the hood in place also and just undo only the specific radiator support bolts, think there are 2 thru the crossmember, a couple on the each side halfway up the support frame and a couple where the fender side attaches............more or less......lol...........dunno if this helps ...........andyd 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andydodge said:

I know that its a different hood and opening arrangement but I've taken the hood off my 40 Dodge , then undone the radiator support frame and/ or just the radiator and removed and/or  both and while the fenders may have dropped a fraction so long as you don't undo the fender to cowl bolts you shouldn't have any real issue.............you may even be able to just leave the hood in place also and just undo only the specific radiator support bolts, think there are 2 thru the crossmember, a couple on the each side halfway up the support frame and a couple where the fender side attaches............more or less......lol...........dunno if this helps ...........andyd 

Hi Andy,

Thanks mate, yeah, it helps a lot.

The support has got to come out, just trying to get an idea of what to expect before removal.

I'd say #1 Take a lot of measurements between the front mounting points. Take measures of everything that looks like something that will be needed to be exactly the same. Top side , bottom, etc. write them all down!!

Support the fenders in several lower locations-blocks,shims,etc. before loosening any bolts.

Best of luck with your project!

DJ

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Success!

Before loosening the bolts I supported the front fenders with wood blocking on both sides above the bumper brackets, and scribed all bolt locations for reference.

Loosened each bolt one at a time, alternating from side to side, checking to see if there was any stress on any of the bolts. The front sheetmetal did not move or droop at all.

In hindsight I probably gave this way more thought than necessary...but better safe than sorry.

Thanks again to all (Andydodge & DJ194950) who responded.

Edited by kbuhagiar