B1B Brake pedal adjustment

Dan W

My brake pedal on my 48 dodge is out about 2" farther than my clutch pedal and I can't figure out how to adjust it other than putting a bumper block between the pedal and cab under the truck.  Is there any way to adjust it?  Thanks for any help. Dan

Ok, good to know.  I've got a couple inches travel before the pushrod engages the master.  I'll weld a frame bumper to the floor pan and see if that does the trick.  I didn't want to rig it if there was an adjustment and now I know there isn't one.

I installed the Toyota M/C with my discs and jeep rear and adjusted the pushrod when I did that.  I have a good "feel" to the brakes.  I just don't like the pedal so high, but if you recommend against messing with it, I trust your judgment and will learn to live with it and move on to another part to work on. Thanks again.

As you have modified your brake system then you may be able to modify your pedal too. I believe the reason for the higher pedal originally was to ensure full stroke of the master cylinder before the pedal hit the floor. As the brakes would wear, and the pedal would have to travel farther to apply the brakes, you wouldn't run out of pedal travel. If you don't believe you'd have that problem you could possibly shorten the stroke.

I was also concerned about the pedal height when I first got my truck together. But I quickly adjusted to it once I started driving it.

3 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

As you have modified your brake system then you may be able to modify your pedal too. I believe the reason for the higher pedal originally was to ensure full stroke of the master cylinder before the pedal hit the floor. As the brakes would wear, and the pedal would have to travel farther to apply the brakes, you wouldn't run out of pedal travel. If you don't believe you'd have that problem you could possibly shorten the stroke.

I was also concerned about the pedal height when I first got my truck together. But I quickly adjusted to it once I started driving it.

For me, that pedal height required me to forget my concerns about it too. I finally got used to it. ?

As a quick update I zip tied a piece of a 1/2 rubber mat to the pedal where it hits the bottom of the floor pan.  The clutch pedal and brake are now at the same level and brake function is unaffected with my modified system.  I'll test it for a bit and if good I'll replace the zip ties with ring clamps.

• Like 1