column shifter problem

I have a 1951 b3B panel truck I am having trouble shifting into 1st and reverse. The clutch is being pushed in far enough

I can only use 2nd a 3rd. Is there a trick to adjusting the the transmission rods? Help me if you can.

Thank you in advance

One thing to try first.

Sitting still, motor running at about 500 rpms, shift into second then right back into first or reverse as desired. There are no syncros in either of them. Usually makes it easy to do.  ?

DJ- also in Modesto! Good luck!

Edited by DJ194950

I was having problems shifting into first and reverse due to the linkage being incorrectly adjusted.  With the shifter in neutral the play in the selector rod needs to be minimal, tighten down the adjustment until all play is gone then back off about a half a turn. 

Hope that helps

Bill

On these vehicles w a 3 on the tree I'm pretty sure there is a cable mechanism that separates the 1-R and the 2-3 shift positions with only 1 actual rod going to the transmission.  If what DJ19491950 suggested won't work you may have to look at adjusting the throw of the cable.  I could be wrong because I no longer have that setup in a truck.

The spline on the rods and the transmission arms is very fine. Mine was worn nearly smooth. Switched it out to a 3 speed floor shift model, end of problem. The column shift transmission is also a "top load" you will be tempted to just change out the shift  mechanism, however the  and will forks are different and will not fit. I've been very pleased with the floor shift

I solved my problem by cleaning the colar where  the R 1st yoke connects, tightened the two screws at the top by the shifter, and put a new grommet on the rod that is pressed over the cone attachment. Good luck.