Ford explorer rearend

martin53

Finally found a rearend for my 53 Coronet. Just curious if any other members use a explorer rearend and if the leaf spring perches need to be move or what kind of Fab work needs to be done. Also looking to get a front disc brake kit. What master cylinder could I use would the explorer master cylinder work.

A tape measure will answer most of your questions on the Explorer axle.  Spring width may be different.  You'll need to check that as well as pinion angle.  Shock location and mounting may be entirely different as well so you'll need to salvage those of your old axle ( new perches can be bought ).  Using an Explorer master may or may not be a good choice unless you are looking to go with power brakes.  I doubt you'll find any Explorer masters that weren't set up to work without a booster.  You could probably use it but you may need to play with the pedal leverage ratio a bit.

22 minutes ago, Dave72dt said:

A tape measure will answer most of your questions on the Explorer axle.  Spring width may be different.  You'll need to check that as well as pinion angle.  Shock location and mounting may be entirely different as well so you'll need to salvage those of your old axle ( new perches can be bought ).  Using an Explorer master may or may not be a good choice unless you are looking to go with power brakes.  I doubt you'll find any Explorer masters that weren't set up to work without a booster.  You could probably use it but you may need to play with the pedal leverage ratio a bit.

Thanks. Mainly looking to install a duel master cylinder on the firewall just not sure which one to use.

I put an Explorer under my coupe. Relocated the perches then bolted it up. The rearend had disc brakes. I added a Scarebird disc conversion to the front. Use an explorer  disc/disc MC under the floorboard, no booster. Stops the car just fine.