Heater Duct - Anyone Reproduction Ones in Paper?

Johnny S

I'm wondering if anyone has found a source for the main heater duct (firewall to heater box) for the 49-52's. I'm looking for one of original paper/cardboard/hardboard design. Figure surely someone is reproducing a high quality replacement version somewhere. I have seen them listed in Andy B's catalog and Robert's also lists one but I don't believe those are hardboard types....I'm thinking they are plastic.....may be wrong on that. Trying to maintain the original look here.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a source for the main heater duct (firewall to heater box) for the 49-52's. I'm looking for one of original paper/cardboard/hardboard design. Figure surely someone is reproducing a high quality replacement version somewhere. I have seen them listed in Andy B's catalog and Robert's also lists one but I don't believe those are hardboard types....I'm thinking they are plastic.....may be wrong on that. Trying to maintain the original look here.

Johnny-

How bad is your existing duct? You may be able to repair it. Mine was really nasty, the outside surface was sluffing off, and it was a greasy mess that I didn't want to touch. It had a couple of small tears at the firewall end, and the heater end was flared out a bit.

I found that it cleaned up very nicely though. I used a stiff bristle wire brush and brushed the duct inside and out. The wire brush removed the nasty surface and the cardboard cleaned it to a smooth finish.

I modified my duct to fit around my dual carb air cleaner by removing a portion of the duct and fitting the hole with a new piece of cardboard. I glued the new cardboard and the tears in the old with two part epoxy. After the glue was dry, I painted the duct inside and out with POR-15 to seal the cardboard from moisture and it's residual old smell.

The duct is like new now, very happy with the result.

Pete

passengclipoff.JPG

duct3.jpg

duct2.jpg

Guest 51plymouthod

My solution was to get a fiberglass repair kit and then paint the repaired duct the same color (mine was black) as the original. Mine had several holes in it and I didn't want to mess with being 'gentle' around 50 year old cardboard-type material---but, then I overdo/over-repair everything.

It DOES, however, add a layer of insulation to the heated air. When these old heaters are working right, they do a really good job.

When these old heaters are working right, they do a really good job.

Your right about that, I'm completely impressed with the heater in my '50. The defrost works as good as my modern cars, and the whole system is really quiet because the blower is under the hood, not in the cabin.

The only drawback I've found is that the intake, right behind the grill, is right behind the exhaust pipe of the car in front of you when you are sitting in traffic. Nearly every car on the road has the tail pipe on the passenger side...

Pete

Pete, did you just use good ole fashion cardboard? I like the look of yours....even as modified.

Mine is torn in a couple spots but might be repairable with some TLC and POR 15. That's a good suggestion.

I was considering whether or not it would be worth my while to try and find someone who could reproduce a few in the original style. If someone can reproduce the glove boxes I would think the heater ducts could be made as well.

I sent Tony C an email.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Johnny, I may have one of these, will check my parts in the morning, will sell it, as I don't need it for my 48 Chrsyler, the one I may have is from a 1951 Canadian Dodge. Let you know tomorrow.................Fred

Tony C. had a number of these reproduced. You might want to check with him and see if he has any left. The one he had made looks pretty nice. He is in Calif.

That is who I bought mine from. (Check the number on it,, lol)

Also, in my P23 at least, the defroster motor is under the dash itself, a mini blower sort of that sucks all the way to the heater core.

When I was pulling my dash I found the cardboard duct that spreads the heat evenly from right to left was pretty bad too. The defroster duct is made of metal, with the intake from the blower on the passenger side.

Actually, the whole unit can go to a good home if someone wants it. The defroster set up too.

UPDATE<<LOL

The defroster does have a serpate motor under the dash. If you listen, you can hear it.

post-285-1358534459606_thumb.jpg

post-285-13585344596335_thumb.jpg

post-285-13585344596608_thumb.jpg

Pete, did you just use good ole fashion cardboard? I like the look of yours....even as modified.

Jonny-

I used a piece of cardboard without a center core, like from a shoebox. I found a fairly thick piece laying around the garage. I cut the section out of the duct, using a scribe to match the contour of te air cleaner. I then glued the filler piece in place with the edges running long past the face of the duct. Once the glue was dry, I cut the filler edges flush with the duct. Once it was painted, it looks like it was always that way.

Pete