51 Dodge Coronet Electrical

51DodgeCoronet

I got a 51 Dodge Coronet which I've been having a problem with. When I take it out for a run. It's fine until I shut it off. It will take 20 minutes to cool down before I can start it up to take off. I figured it was either the points, could, voltage regulator. I tried to change the points and didn't succeed. I changed the voltage regulator. It turns over but doesn't start up. Now I can't even get it to turn over and no electric out put. I tested the battery and I get 6v. The head lights won't even turn on. Any suggestions

1 hour ago, 51DodgeCoronet said:

I got a 51 Dodge Coronet which I've been having a problem with. When I take it out for a run. It's fine until I shut it off. It will take 20 minutes to cool down before I can start it up to take off. I figured it was either the points, could, voltage regulator. I tried to change the points and didn't succeed. I changed the voltage regulator. It turns over but doesn't start up. Now I can't even get it to turn over and no electric out put. I tested the battery and I get 6v. The head lights won't even turn on. Any suggestions

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

check your spark..these coils are notorious for going bad and will overheat...though they continue to run a car when started.....the restart when hot suffers to the point that often they do have to cool for some time to get a blue spark to return

Right on Plymouthy Adams. I will change out the coil. Hopefully that will give me power. 

Also check the battery cables. Make sure you have a good CLEAN connection on the posts and also a good Clean ground connection.  Might also want to put on an extra ground strap.

Also did you change the battery cables and if you did, did you put on 12volt cables?  You willneed the heavier gage 0 or double 0 gage cables so that the 6v can carry more voltage. A lot of people have changed to the 12v when they first get the car thinking these will work. Yes they will but best when the engine is cold and not hot. When the car or block is hot then it gets hard to start the car,

You also state that the headlight will not turn on. Have they ever worked or do you have to blown headlight bulbs. Try pushing the high low beam floor switch several times the points get corroded and then by stepping on the button cleans the points. Check the wire connection at the posts near the radiator to make sure these are tight and not corroded. Could also be the wiring needs to be replaced if they are original.  Test for continuity.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

When I had similar electrical failure it was due to loose and corroded connections on the battery side terminal of the starter solenoid.  Cleaning slightly sanding and retightening

The nut there solved the issue.  Also there is a 30 amp fuse on the head light switch that most of the circuits thin the car run through.