39 dodge headliner replacement

garyp

Got a new headliner for my birthday from WLS and it has 4 bows that come out and 2 stationary in the back there is a masionate type piece that goes around the rear window down to the back of the shelf but my manual says nothing about this piece and that is where the headliner fastens just above the rear window I am going to try and do it like originally done but am not sure why my manual says nothing about this any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks Gary

Gary,

Sorry I can't really help, my 39 has the original headliner, and so far I haven't messed with it...........yet.  Who is WLS?   If the price is reasonable I wouldn't mind changing mine, as it seems the logical starting point to spiff up the interior.

Somewhere I read that when changing a headliner,  start in the middle  bows, and work to the front and back.  I've also heard to wet the headliner and stretch into place, and when it dries it shrinks tight.  I mention this, but I don't know if I would try it.

happy new year to everyone on the list,

brian b

They are in Georgia and specialize in headliners in old cars made mine up and it is beautiful you can get the headliner and the matching windlace 25 feet and had my sunvisors recovered  plus got an extra 1 1/2 yards of material  for $229.35. I chose the color beechwood and it is just like the original color very nice and great to deal with use my name and let them know how many bowes there I told them 5 but there are only 4 but there is a stationary one in the back so I think I will be OK will keep you posted on my progress just let me know if you have a that masonary piece back by the window.  WLS headliners Hazlehurst GA 912-375-5292 check out their website good luck.  Gary

Gary: the Masonite piece might be a tacking strip to tack the headliner material around the window. The metal inside garnish molding then would cover the tacks.

Also there will be severalmetal pieces that has saw tooth to  push the headliner up against to hold it into position alsong the sides.  I helped my painter install the headline in my 39 desoto but that was in 1996  use flat wide putty knifes to push the material into the frames.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

the tacking strip are compressed paper material....it will easily bend and curve to go within the channel that it needs to fit...you will find that there are locking metal tabs to hold this material into place.  Lift these to remove you damage original material and bend back down when finished.    While the putty knives are good for tucking and what I use also....DO BE SURE TO DULL the blades and ensure that the corners are also rounded and not sharp in any manner..A nice layer or two of duct tape also will provide a nice safety edge to work with.....

As for WLS.....I have been to his shop in person....family business....do be sure you understand that the man uses the current foam backed material for his headliners...and that he sews with catgut....not thread.....he will custom sew with your supplied suitable fabric...but the cost is still the same.....?  

My '38 had the masonite stuff in it ....  Plymouth Adams explains it well.  Mine was all the way around rear of the doors.  Gives you something to nail into to keep your headliner taught...~d

thanks for the headliner source! 

• 1 month later...

Howdy all,

I am Shopping for a headliner for my '38 chrysler...  I talked to WLS, but he said he won't do a vinyl one witch is what I want.  Does anyone have a source that can do vinyl headliners?/?  Thx ~d

when you start asking for special material considerations, you automatically have moved it to your own shop or a local trimmer willing to work within your specifications.....if you do not know any trimmers in your area, ask some of the local car club members or enthusiasts in your area as to what shop they may recommend.

1 hour ago, Dbolter said:

Howdy all,

I am Shopping for a headliner for my '38 chrysler...  I talked to WLS, but he said he won't do a vinyl one witch is what I want.  Does anyone have a source that can do vinyl headliners?/?  Thx ~d

Why do you want a vinyl headliner? The originals were a felt like nap material. If you want to keep original looking then go with the correct headliner.  The vinyl will look out of place and the 38 Chrysler cloth headliners can be purcashed very easily.  I have a 39 desoto with a cloth replacement and it looks period correct.

Just asking, its your car.

Rich Hartung

Hey Rich,  Not sure how to explain it.... I'm just not a fan of the "mohair" felt material.... not sure why, but I have never liked it.... don't get me wrong I am very traditional and most of my car stuff is pretty much stock .... nothing crazy....  right now my '38 is missing the headliner and has the felt nap seat cover and door panels...  the rumble seat is vinyl and does not feel out of place with the car to me....I just know I will enjoy vinyl/leather interior more....

I will update here with pic's of my progress ....  looks like lebaron bonney may be able to set me up....  anybody ever been?   

regards ~d

Ok  get your replay so If you could get a 38 cloth replacement headliner then you should beable to duplicate a copy in vinyl to fit your car or you might have to go to an upohslerty guy to have a custom headliner made for you.

Rich Hartung

some trimmers will not work a headliner in vinyl due to the fact it does not have as "forgiving" stretch qualities in all directions as does cloth.....some will not sew a tweed either for similar reasons.....carry a sample of your fabric wo the trimmer or as him what he would recommend or normally uses in his trade.

A lighter weight vinyl might stretch OK.  My 72 Dodge Coronet had a thin vinyl headliner, and I replaced it because it was badly damaged from a former owner's smoking habit.  I was able to find the exact same fabric, and my Mom did the sewing for me, then I put it in.  (Not sure how much, but I still have what was left from that roll.)  It was a light tan color, and had small holes in a grid pattern.

32 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

A lighter weight vinyl might stretch OK.  My 72 Dodge Coronet had a thin vinyl headliner, and I replaced it because it was badly damaged from a former owner's smoking habit.  I was able to find the exact same fabric, and my Mom did the sewing for me, then I put it in.  (Not sure how much, but I still have what was left from that roll.)  It was a light tan color, and had small holes in a grid pattern.

most vinyl headliners were made of perforated vinyl material that aided in stretch in all directions...

I bought my headliner for my 38 Coupe from Kmart.     It is a large blanket.    These are two layers sewn together, with the rows about 3 inchs apart.

I stretched it a little each day and clamped until it was very tight before attaching it.       It still looks great.

headliner c.jpg

headliner a.jpg

headliner b.jpg

Thats Awesome!  My headliner was gone when I purchased my '38 Chrysler coupe but it came with 7 bowes... looks like yours has 5 now I'm wondering if I got two extra!

any tips on what order they go in as they are all slightly different lengths.  If I remember right mine may even have numbers on them?/?  Thx ~d