ID of the vintage car

Mikemomd

Hello and Happy Holidays. This car is a 1942 Plymouth two door coach (sedan) which I can identify by the placement of the parking light and the chrome piece on the rear fender. I am partial to this year Plymouth because it is the same year that I was born. Nice photo, thanks for posting it.

John R

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mikemomd said:

Hello all,

I found this old photo from around 1950 (+/- 2 years) of my father standing next to an old family car.

Does anyone have any ideas on the ID of the car?

Thanks,

Mike

Dad1950.jpg

Had a whole dude thing going,didn't he? Having a new car and being able to dress like that in WVA in 1942 gave him good reason to smile.

The tell tale is the sheet metal air scoop under the front bumper.  As 42 model production for all Detroit autos with the exception of those ordered by the armed forces, was very limited in numbers, this feature was a one year (half year) deal.  The 42 body style with trim changes carried over from the P12 to the P15. But this unique item was not continued to the post war design.

Chrysler's other pre war weird styling feature was rotating headlights on the few 1942 de Soto that were made.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, greg g said:

The tell tale is the sheet metal air scoop under the front bumper.  As 42 model production for all Detroit autos with the exception of those ordered by the armed forces, was very limited in numbers, this feature was a one year (half year) deal.  The 42 body style with trim changes carried over from the P12 to the P15. But this unique item was not continued to the post war design.

Chrysler's other pre war weird styling feature was rotating headlights on the few 1942 de Soto that were made.

There is damn little on the body of a 42 that works on a 46-48. The hood and probably the trunk lid on coupes and the rear doors on a 4dr,but pretty much everything else on the exterior is 1942 only.

I discovered this after buying the worlds rustiest 42 Dodge business coupe.

10 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Had a whole dude thing going,didn't he? Having a new car and being able to dress like that in WVA in 1942 gave him good reason to smile.

Actually, my parents were living in Detroit, MI at the time the photo was taken and the year was around 1950. My dad had just returned as a Gunnery Sgt in the US Marines from the South Pacific after being wounded twice on Iwo Jima during WW2....so, I think he probably had other reasons to be smiling. You're right...it is nice to live in WV and dress like that...I think I wore my first pair of shoes when I was 22 ?.

Thanks for the help on ID the vehicle, John R and Greg G. I will be able to let my brothers and sister know the answer to a question we had wondered about for years.

Mike

1 hour ago, Mikemomd said:

Actually, my parents were living in Detroit, MI at the time the photo was taken and the year was around 1950. My dad had just returned as a Gunnery Sgt in the US Marines from the South Pacific after being wounded twice on Iwo Jima during WW2....so, I think he probably had other reasons to be smiling. You're right...it is nice to live in WV and dress like that...I think I wore my first pair of shoes when I was 22 ?.

Thanks for the help on ID the vehicle, John R and Greg G. I will be able to let my brothers and sister know the answer to a question we had wondered about for years.

Mike

I admit to being a little biased,having been a career US Army SF NCO,but  a USMC Gunny is a mighty fine thing to be,too.

• Like 1