1954 desoto powermaster powerflite transmission

Bill Holbrook

hey guys new to the forum here. I have a 54 desoto with a powerflite tranny that is leaking out of the vent on the passenger side. this is my first old vehicle ive owned. last was a 89 f150 5 speed and is totally different. I am not looking to ad brake fluid which I have heard works and I don't want to put any stop leak or anything like that. I want to do an actual fix on this with new seals and everything. has anyone ever actually done anything like this before that would have any good pointers as to how to do this job? car is very important to me and im really wanting to keep it all "real". thank you guys for any help you can offer is much appreciated.

I have a cast iron torqueflite behind the 318 poly in my 1940 Dodge and had it rebuilt a few years ago at a local auto trans shop here in Grafton.........now I don't suggest you send your Powerflite here........lol..............BUT I bought a complete rebuild kit that included the steels, clutch plates, bands, bearings, seals & gaskets, in fact everything needed to rebuild the Torqueflite from Andy Bernbaum, www.oldmoparts.com ......this was maybe 20 yrs ago and yep the business was sold about 4-5 yrs ago but as I understand the new owner is good to deal with so I'd start there...and they did have the same rebuild kits for a Powerflite gearbox..........as for doing an auto trans myself, whilst I assembled the 318 Poly about 40 yrs ago and its still going strong I'd be a bit hesitant about doing an auto trans.....I gave the local guy here the complete trans, a spare auto trans, 2 workshop manuals that covered the Torqueflite and the complete rebuild kit and told him to do his best and so far, nearly 20 yrs later its still going strong.....I must admit that its had a leak where the kickdown lever attaches to the shaft out of the gearbox and I've replaced that seal, I've also installed an inline auto trans filter, similar to a fuel filter but specifically for the auto trans lines and I've also had a separate auto trans cooler with an air scoop bolted to the US drivers side outer chassis rail..........not sure if any of this helps......I do have a couple of workshop manuals that do have all the specs etc for the Dodge/Plymouth style of Powerflite but am unsure whether a DeSoto version is exactly the same.............as for keeping your car "real" I understand what you mean but as my Dodge is a Hotrod and has been so since 1973 with the 318, torquflite, etc etc,etc when its all said & done the main thing is to keep it on the road...........let me know if you need a copy of the Powerflite rebuild specs etc.................and a few pics of the car are always welcome and appreciated...........heres one of the Dodge...............Welcome aboard from Oz and my regards for the season.........Andy Douglas     

P1000699 (800x600).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@Andydodge I apologize for not replying sooner. I am not getting notifications that people are commenting. I posted pictures of my car onmy other post. You have a very beautiful ride I must say im a bit jealous. As for my wanting to keep mine all original I love seeing old hot rods as well. nothing wrong with getting the most out of your ride. I can certainly agree with keeping them on the road no matter how it happens. no insult what so ever toward anyone on me saying "real" either, I guess I should have more said stock. and I would be very appreciative if you sent me the information you have. @desoto1939I have your information saved and will be in  contact  with you for a manual.