bananas , who would of guessed?

torqczar

On 12/27/2018 at 9:31 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

having eaten sausage from southeast Asia, I am not so sure I can make that claim...….:eek:

I don't know you personally but you're a lot tougher than am I!  On the other hand, sausage is made of whatever is left, I think.  Therefore whatever is left of monkeys is probably the same as whatever is left of domestic farm animals.

The answer is still no!  

Having eaten both (monkey meat & bananas), I can say that I prefer the monkey meat, but I sleep better after having eaten a banana than I did after having eaten monkey meat.  (I actually don't care too much for bananas, except for a variety we had in Brazil, called banana maca - literally 'apple banana'.)

I've had monkey twice.  First time was when I was in the Army.  I was in Panama back when the U.S. had the jungle operations school there, predating Op: Just Cause.  Kids selling BBQ meat on a stick that turned out to be monkey.  That time I knew what it was, and being the Sergeant, I was naturally "obligated" to try it first.  We had just completed the JOTC school, so it was certainly better that the bugs, roots, and snakes we had been eating, but I didn't think I'd eat it again unless I had too.  The monkeys were a PIA there anyway, but I doubt we ate the ones that were harassing us in the jungle.  Then I had some monkey stew when I was in Bolivia with the Border Patrol on a DEA assignment.  I didn't realize it at first.  We were on a patrol with the locals in the Chapare Valley, and the Alcalde from a small village out in the jungle invited us to dinner.  "Hearts and minds" stuff, so we couldn't turn him down.  Discovered there was monkey in the stew when a couple of their little heads bobbed up when the cook stirred the pot.  They treat their monkey stew like a squirrel stew aficionado - gotta include the heads. A little disconcerting at first because they initially looked like little human heads.  The locals considered it quite a delicacy, and that we should be honored to partake.  There was enough other stuff in it to make it OK, but it was still gamey, nothing a good dose of Tabasco didn't cure.  I also recall that the bananas in Panama were OK, but the ones in Bolivia were awful. Sorry for the long post, the thread got me reminiscing...

• Thanks 1