Reasons for Copying/Stealing Posts

51_Meadowbrook

So here is something that I found interesting.. i was on a different forum site that I use for my Cadillac and I saw that a fellow Dodge Meadowbrook owner was having difficulty that I was knowledged in. He was describing it so well that it was identical to an issue I had had this summer. I remembered that I was on here talking about that issue so I went on here and took a couple pictures of the thread I had made and put them on his thread. I felt so good that I was finally imparting my knowledge onto someone else that I was telling the people around me about it. Then I got home and reread the post that he had made and it made me think it sounded too familiar. And I found it odd that the name of the thread didn’t make sense. The second and third words were fine but the first one wasn’t even close to fitting the thread nor was it something that is used to describe the problem he was having. So I went back on here and looked at my original post. Sure enough, it was my post word for word. He had taken everything I had written and put it on there as if it was his. That made me very suspicious of his motives. Not to mention that he had created his profile on there less than 24 hours ago. So with all that being said, I have to wonder, what would cause someone to take a thread and copy it onto a new one as if it were their own? What is the motivation? 

Edited by 51_Meadowbrook
Changed title

Some forums require a certain number of posts be made before that member is allowed to advertise something for sale.  So a new member will post lots of stuff just to rack up his post count.  That's the most logical reason I can think of, or else he just likes to see his name out there.

Agreed, that's a spammer...the bogus account operator can see who is currently or has recently been online on a forum and start their hijinks from there...I have other accounts where I exchange information and about the time I am active, I will notice an uptick in spam activity... proceed with caution...