Who has swapped in a ranger rear end

Jj1981

I did a ranger (7.5?) axle in my 73 swinger. It had a flat flange on the pinion and needed a combination driveshaft welded up. The rest of the swap was easy I just had to shave the axle, mock it up for pinion angle, tack the leaf perches, measure for  driveshaft length, take it apart, final weld the perches, and put it all back together.

If I remember correctly our trucks are like the swinger in that the lower shock bolt is also the leaf spring U-bolt plate? So other than plumbing new brakes with 3/16” line there was nothing else that needed to be attached or welded to the rear. 

Good luck!

My swinger drives fine until you hit the highway where it has a kind of thrumming vibration over 60. It’s been in paint shop purgatory for 6 years which is like free storage at this point and before that it was super fun around town with 3.73 limited slip and a slapshifter- it chirps second and third with a warm 318. So I never addressed the problem. Could be the pinion angle would solve it with some leaf spring wedge shims or maybe drastic measures are needed

Using the stock transmission, probably easier to use the flathead driveshaft since finding a flange style yoke to fit it may be more difficult than replacement for the ranger rear.   DIYing it, you may want to use a combo of both. If so, remember those joints need top be phased.