taillight wiring: remove the headliner?

50s-coronet

Hi all!

Now I've been searching in the formum for several hours but didn't find any useful information on my issue. I think about re-wiring the tail lights since the calbes are still all original. "Thinkin" because still they work properly and I also have to consider the effort which is required for that. It's more for prevention...

As I've seen the wires come from underneath the dashboard, up the A-pillar and then down the C-pillar and continue to the consumers. And that brings me to my question: Is there any possiblity to re-wire without taking down the whole headliner? Maybe only on the side the cables are? Any recommendations/experiences?

Depends upon if the wires are just laying in the channel or are held in place.  You can detach both ends of the wires, connect a thin cable to one end and pull and see if the wire will come out dragging the cable with it to connect to the new wires.  Then just pull on the other end of the cable and pull the new wires back through.  Again all depends on whether the wires are free and there's enough room through the run.

My headliner is out, and I've decided to replace all of the wiring throughout the whole car.  But I will say that a person would not have been able to pull the wiring out from either end on mine.  It is an Oklahoma car, and obviously has sat out in the sun a good bit, because the wiring has been securely stuck into the seam-sealer tar in that channel at various points.  Also, if I recall correctly, the wiring that goes to the interior light, and down the B pillar to the switch, was taped up with the tail light wires.  And while I would think that just the left side could be taken loose to give the needed access, if the cloth is brittle at all, it will likely not survive the attempt to refasten it.

Edit:  Donald posted while I was writing this.  You can see in his photo that the wiring harness is taped together.

Edited by Eneto-55

Ok, thanks guys! Definately helpful! So unless there is a mayor overhaul required in near future (which I definately don't hope and wish), I will keep the wiring as it is. But I will also have a look on how to route the cables under the carpet or somewhere under the chassis... Could be an alternative.

I did mine under the chassis and then put them in a plastic wire loom. easier to get at and lessens the issue of how to get to the wires. Also used the same routing for the gas tank flaot and all of the other rear wires.

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Thanks 1

If your headliner is still in place....I have yet to see a harness that runs behind it pull easily from place.  They have a couple tight areas and also a clip or so holding them stationary.  IF you wish to renew the wires to the rear you can do so without pulling the headliner....you will need to be a bit innovative when redoing the rear light wire which is not at all that difficult you will need to also renew the B-pillar switch which can be routed to the bottom and to the back.  Your splice will be at the kick panel where it goes up and over the doors in the roof....routed to the rear along the floor or if you wish through a grommet and beneath the car up into the truck through another grommet,.....yes it will take a bit of new wires, few connection but you headliner will not be disturbed...

When the signal lights were added to my car, the wires were run behind the lick panels, under the floor mat under the seat, under the rear mat, up through package tray where they joined the stock wiring.  Mine is a business coupe so you need to deal with the rear seat but that shouldn't be a big problem.

Yes as shown previously you will not be able to pull the roof wiring harness out... clips are used to keep it in place....on most all 1946-54 models... shown is a 48 Chrysler 3 pass cpe roof tail harness...

Blakes C39  # pass NY Dash and Wiring Assembly Jan 2016 (27).JPG