Brake lights conversion

Cannuck

Hi 

I am in the process of going from one brake light to three.

Before I cut any wires, I understand I  splice the brake light wire and run it over to the right and left signal light bulb wire.

This seems quite simple but I  have a feeling I am missing something.

Thanks 

Thanks for the reply 

Yes I am aware that this topic has been discussed before , 

The reason I ask is because I was confused , I already have the dual element sockets andI  thought  I was missing some steps .

First running a wire  from the centre BL to the signal lights isn"t going to work 

Am I to run a separate wire from the   S/L switch to the rear signal light wire 

You mention a second dedicated wire on the S/L switch one going to the centre brake   light which it already does correct.and the other to the T/S switch This is what confuses me .

You can tell I am new at this .

Ok last year I wired in the new old stock signal lights I got my power from the ignition switch and ran new wires ti both front and rear park lights changing the bulbs to dual filament . This year I thought I would add the brake lights .My car is a 1948 dodge sedan with the old wiring harness, Not sure what else you require 

I do appreciate you taking the time .

your T/S switch should get its power from the brake light switch if you intend to utilize the two element socket for brake/ts and park/running light.....the center brake light will stay just as it is....dedicated wire to it along with this same electrical point of the BL switch feeding the TS switch...….what model TS switch did you use, do you still have the connection instructions?  If not, many of these aftermarket wiring instructions are easily found on the internet....

Thank you Plymouthy

Mine is a Signal stat 400 I will look on line for the wiring diagram. 

It is my understanding that I should be using the turn signal bulb side for the brake light.

So the Brake light switch has two wires that push on, one from power and one to the centre B/L. I attach the black gray wire to the power side. The black gray is attached to my power source presently.

Then I run two more wires back to the tail lights from the centre brake light side of the switch.

I do enjoy working on the car but the signal lights was my first stab at wiring.

Thanks again 

I took a simpler route to 3 brake lights. Single red LED round marker lights (can be found at truck stops) fit perfectly into the reflector holes on the sides. Easy to just splice into the center light and no worries with the t/s   

Edited by White Spyder

remember, the man states he is working with a Signalstat 400 series......posted diagrams should reflect that model....they have a specific wire count......and that model has only four wires, to use the existing lighting assemblies modified to dual filament and not add more lighting assemblies to the car, he will need to upgrade to a 7 or 8 wire unit, the Signalstat 900 is one such model that would support his brake light switch while providing functional T/S to the existing assemblies and where the flasher will interrupt the selected Left or Right stop lamp circuit.....

Thanks to you all for all your suggestions .Its great to have this forum to help non mechanical people like myself.I do a

It looks like I will be looking for the 900 series after Christmas .

Thanks again for your patience.

17 hours ago, White Spyder said:

I took a simpler route to 3 brake lights. Single red LED round marker lights (can be found at truck stops) fit perfectly into the reflector holes on the sides. Easy to just splice into the center light and no worries with the t/s   

Any pictures of this setup?

yes it is, this is the Plykota…..featuring the best of the best in Plymouth bz coupe body in mostly stock external appearance sporting the modern Dakota 2004 drivetrain, 3.7 V6 and 5 speed NV3500, features the best 2004 had to offer in the donor lineup for safety and creature comforts...