P15 turn signal switch loc on column ??

3046moparcoupe

Question please, any of you P15 folks out there have your turn signal switch mounted to the column between the dash and the column gear shift anchor point ?

I've been trying to mount a Yankee 960 turn signal switch between the steering wheel and the gear shift anchor point on the column, and there's just not quite enough real estate, however moving it down on the column that far (to between the gear shift and the dash) looks a little un-natural to me, and almost looks as though it could get in the way of a knee on a long legged person ?? maybe I'm wrong...re-locating it there would certainly solve all the space issues...all reply's welcome..

I appreciate the input..

Steve 

thats where I have my signal stat 900. However it seems to be a little shorter than your vintage yankee. Mine is at about 10oclock. Maybe you just need to find a factory unit!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Ed, do you have a photo of an original factory installed T/S switch for the P15?  and if not factory...the one supplied to the dealership?

junkyard fresh but no steering wheel to really show the gap. DSC00301.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Ed and Tim, I know this is awfully trivial,. I'm gonna get out there tomorrow and doing some relocating and moving on this thing,...to see if I can find a good home for it., One reason I was asking about moving it down the column is that I was looking through P15 dash pics here on the internet and I saw a few that had the signal switch mounted lower, between the shiifter and the dash,...it didn't seem to look that bad in the photos, course they may not be long legged either,....I'm a little over 6 ft, (however slowly shrinking as time fly's by)...

thanks for the pic Ed...

I wish we still had the old chat feature, it was nice to visit on here that way..

Steve

On 12/17/2018 at 11:10 PM, Young Ed said:

junkyard fresh but no steering wheel to really show the gap. DSC00301.jpg

I noticed an interesting difference in your photo as compared to my 49 P15 parts car.  The car in your photo has a different steering column shroud at the top end, while mine has nothing there.  Could that have been a part of the optional turn signal package?

49 steering column - shifter location.jpg

1 hour ago, Eneto-55 said:

I noticed an interesting difference in your photo as compared to my 49 P15 parts car.  The car in your photo has a different steering column shroud at the top end, while mine has nothing there.  Could that have been a part of the optional turn signal package?

49 steering column - shifter location.jpg

That's actually a DeSoto I think. However the entire dpcd lineup shared that turn signal set-up

That shroud is the same as a 1946-48 Chrysler too...T/sig wiring is hidden  inside of it too.

My turn signal unit is only maybe an inch below the wheel on it's back side.   I now have a different switch from the one shown......which has a rubber wheel

that presses against the back of the steering wheel and cancels the signal following a turn.  Mine is a 7 wire unit.

100_0766.jpg