Help identify what this part does and its correct orientation

48 New Yorker

What you see is the starter solenoid from my '48 Chrysler New Yorker 8 cylinder. I need help identifying what the "ring like" connector (that rides on the terminal stud) does and its correct orientation. 

Some background:  the starter quit, so I started troubleshooting.  I found the winding for the solenoid relay (with yellow wires)  was defective, so I rewound it. 

Now, it tests out fine....points close when energized with 6 volts to the contact studs. The solenoid also seems fine... pulls the plunger in when current is applied to the wire leads.  There is continuity between both terminals of the relay and also between both terminals of the starter coil .  Tested out the starter motor and that tests out ok too, spins right up when current is applied directly to its terminals.  So all three parts, relay, solenoid and starter motor work - individually.

When everything is put back together, the solenoid won't engage (won't throw the gear into starting position), nor will the starter spin.....can't figure out why.

Thinking the "ring like" connector may have something to do with it.  My question is this: (see photos): what does that tab on "ring like" connector do?  What is it supposed to contact?  Is it in the correct orientation (it can be rotated around when loosened). 

When I removed the battery studs, this contact piece was twisted around and was making contact with the copper disk.  This is because as I loosened the nut the stud rotated, and the contact piece with it, so I don't know it's correct orientation.  Anyone got an exploded diagram?

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me on this as I'm really stuck....  

Thanks, 

Daivd in Santa Cruz 

48 chrysler starter 1.jpg

stud connector 1.jpg

solenoid parts layout 1.jpg

48 chrysler solenoid 1.jpg

All I have is these pictures of the C39 C49 8 cylinder starter solenoids...

Solenoid Chry DeSoto Misc 1941-50 (9).JPG

Solenoid Chry DeSoto Misc 1941-50 (10).JPG

Solenoid Chry DeSoto Misc 1941-50 (12).JPG

Solenoid Chry DeSoto Misc 1941-50 (13).JPG

• Thanks 1

Thank you Dodgeb4ya, your photos confirm I have the "ring" in the correct orientation. 

As to the purpose of ring's tab....it looks as if it should be crimping a wire or making contact with something....but does neither.  I'm thinking that the "tab" exists only because it may have been cheaper to manufacture....probably used in other solenoids and simpler to use  one stamping rather than tool a new part. 

Possibly its purpose here is just to shim up the longer copper stud so that it sits lever with the shorter stud when contacting the round plunger.

This must have been a real stumper....only one reply.  Any other insights?  Still haven't got the starter to work yet.  Gonna go over everything again to see if I missed anything.

Some more pics....other tab connects to nothing...

Solenoid C39 1941 1948 Chry DeSoto Canted (11).JPG

Solenoid C39 1941 1948 Chry DeSoto Canted (16).JPG

Solenoid C39 1941 1948 Chry DeSoto Canted (30).JPG

Solenoid C39 1941 1948 Chry DeSoto Canted (31).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1