ignition switch question

37silverstreak

Hey guys,

Just curious, when did Plymouth start incorporating the starter circuit into the ignition switch?  I'm guessing that my early '49 Plymouth P15 ( i prefer referring to her as a '48) has had its ignition switch replaced at some point before I bought it as the switch has 4 terminals on it instead of 3. It has the spring loaded second right position that allows you to crank the starter from the key instead of a button and also has a left key turn position that allows you to run the accessories without turning on the ignition. I'm going to keep this switch in the car as it was what was in the car when I bought it and it seems to function fine, but it did cause me some headaches trying to figure out the wiring as the P15 diagram shows a 3 terminal switch.

Thanks!

• Like 1