51 B-3 2 ton brake cylinders

RedHot71

Welcome Redhot, I sent mine to https://hagensautoparts.com/dodge+-+truck/9-brake/25441 

had them re sleeved, very happy with them.

I know the attached is 52 but it gives you an idea...

BTW, we will need to see a few pictures of your truck! ?

Edited by Brent B3B
Spelling

On my 2.5 ton, the front ones were the same stepped cyls used in my 1 ton, but they're specific as to what side they go on.   For the rear I got relined shows and new cyls, and seals.  The cyls were the same side to side if I remember correctly. I know I have the pn's written down in my garage and I will get them for you if you need them, but mine is a B2JA with a 2 speed rear with I think 16" brakes.     While you're in the rear, you may want to replace the inner seals to avoid having to take it apart again.  

Not having any luck with finding rear replacements.  Have tried everywhere.  Where did you find rear cylinders & do you remember what the bore sizes were?  Mine are the step-bore as mentioned, but front bore is 1 1/2" & rear bore is 1 3/4".  Seems like my only option is to have them re-sleeved.  Any suggestions out there?  I'm ready to pull the trigger & get this thing off of jack stands.

Welcome Redhot -

My truck is a 1.5 ton, so it could be drastically different than your newer 2 ton, and it has been a number of years since I did any work on my brakes.  faced with a similar issue to yours (not finding the stepped Wheel Cylinders anywhere),  I just went with something similar (not stepped) from Wagner products.  They fit fine and did stop the truck a few times before the master cylinder quit.  I had the master sleeved from an independent guy in Agawam, MA.  He Did an excellent job; used stainless steel If I remember correctly ; not certain he is still doing it, but if he is, it is close to $100 for the service.  Send the rebuild kit and he will do the entire rebuild for you.  Unfortunately, I've moved 3 or 4 times since I've used him and do not recall his name / no idea if I still have paperwork for him. I found him via a google search for machine work - but I have to admit, it was difficult to find him.  His information could still be available on the web. Good luck.

I've tried Roberts Motor Parts, Andy Bernham Auto Parts, Kanters Auto Parts, NAPA Auto Parts, & a bunch of local hydraulic repair shops.  None want to assume the liability of sleeving.  Only one I know of for re-sleeving is White Post Restorations.  Unable to contact Hahens Auto Parts. 

2 hours ago, RedHot71 said:

I've tried Roberts Motor Parts, Andy Bernham Auto Parts, Kanters Auto Parts, NAPA Auto Parts, & a bunch of local hydraulic repair shops.  None want to assume the liability of sleeving.  Only one I know of for re-sleeving is White Post Restorations.  Unable to contact Hahens Auto Parts

have you called Vintage Power Wagons (VPW)?

2 hours ago, RedHot71 said:

I've tried Roberts Motor Parts, Andy Bernham Auto Parts, Kanters Auto Parts, NAPA Auto Parts, & a bunch of local hydraulic repair shops.  None want to assume the liability of sleeving.  Only one I know of for re-sleeving is White Post Restorations.  Unable to contact Hahens Auto Parts. 

Hagens is open and has been.... I just talked to them.

RDHot71  I'll check the paperwork in my garage tomorrow and get back to you with the p/n's that I used and anything else I can find.     Mike

Thanks.  A part # that might be compatible would get me up & running way faster than sending cylinders off to be re-sleeved.  The hurricane we had here in NC has got me running around (I'm a Contractor) like crazy & the old truck would be helpful.

You most likely won't find them new.

if it were a Chebby or a Furd you could have the parts in an hour.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

RH71-I apologize-I completely forgot about this over the holidays.  I hope this helps.  Rear cyls Lockheed casting #FD31187 (or NAPA p/n 28803 that were $80 ea.   The seals were NAPA p/n's 33807.  My truck has 16" x 3" wide rear shoes if that helps at all.  The front cyls were NAPA p/n's 3595 (left) and 3596 (right).  The relined shoes came from an outfit out west:  Northwestern Auto Supply at 1-800-704-1078 and were $75.00.  I worked w a fellow named Gene who was very helpful.   Good luck.  Mike

Edited by MBFowler

Isn't the HH series factory a 1-3/8" X 1-1/2" stepped rear W/cyl?

Not 1-1/2" X 1-3/4"  like used on the 2-1/2 tonners?

I suppose you could run a 1-1/2" straight bore.

Thanks for the part #'s MBFowler.  Just went & re-checked wheel cylinder bores & they are in fact 1 1/2" & 1 3/4".  I have found a 1 3/4" straight bore & will be checking that when it gets here.  Thanks for the responses.

18 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Isn't the HH series factory a 1-3/8" X 1-1/2" stepped rear W/cyl?

Not 1-1/2" X 1-3/4"  like used on the 2-1/2 tonners?

I suppose you could run a 1-1/2" straight bore.

Mine is as you say Rob, 1-1/4x1-3/8 front and 1-3/8x1-1/2 rear

Redhot71 do you have the brake booster ?

Some one might have installed the wrong 1-3/4" Wheel cylinders in that HH.

B-3-J and K use the larger stepped bore 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" cylinders...not saying they won't work.?

ATA boy! I like it!   ?

Boy that photo is sure deceiving, I would not have guessed the wheel base to be 192" 

make sure when you buckle it up, post more photos in the "Bigger truck club" 

keep us updated on your progress 

You are right!  I went ahead & measured center to center front & back wheels & came up w/128".  Could my model # be wrong on the driver's side doorjamb tag.  It says model B-3-HHA-192.  The model # the original owner wrote on the front of the parts manual he gave me is B-3-JA128.  I'm confused.

I think we may have just solved or are solving the cylinder mystery  ?

if it was mine, I would check the frame for the serial number and try and look it up like that. http://t137.com/registry/help/decode.php

on a side note, save that tag! I saw one on eBay for a couple hundred dollars! LOL https://www.ebay.com/itm/52-1952-DODGE-PICKUP-TRUCK-COWL-DATA-BODY-PLATE-TRIM-CODE-TAG/192525788891?hash=item2cd36e66db:g:ak0AAOSw3Bla5iqN

( just kidding)

Edited by Brent B3B

B3JA explains the 1-3/4" W/cyl.

Your rear spring looks pretty heavy duty too.

Check your frame serial # at the front left frame horn with a wire brush and chect to see if it matches the JA door pillar tag #.